Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Your point is taken. I lived in North Dallas for 5 years and rode my 74' CB500 on Central Expressway...once. Yikes! Still terrifying after 35 years.
I rode splitting lanes daily in Orange County for miles to and from work, so I can't image it worse than that.

Reactions: a2rbnud

Registered
My "EX WIFE" TOLD ME to sell the bike & Quit Hunting it takes to much time away from the family or she'll leave that was 25+ yrs ago ! Missed her for a bit, but got over it.
My Daughter rides a 250 Ninja & I just got my Grandson a new Yamaha 80 Grizzly 4 wheeler for Christmas to go with his TTR 50. We don't talk to the ex that much Daughter is married & a Nurse, rides to work. Me 65 retired been on 2 wheels for 47 yrs. Good times bad times I've had my share ! Still Ride !
VTX1800C, VTX1800F IS WHAT I'M ON ALLMOST 1MILLION MILES YES YOU READ THAT CORRECT!
FIRST MOTORCYCLE
SEARS 160. THEN H2 Kawasaki, Z1 900,GPZ1100,KZ1100 Spector, Goldwing 1200,Suzuki Bandit 1200, VTX1800C, VTX1800F. Still have both VTX'S.
IT'S been a wonderful life
I went to M/C Mechanics school, am a certified Car, ,truck, Transit Coach (buses) Mechanic Retired!
Now it run a M/C salvage shop to stay busy!
One thing I know from all or most people who sell there M/C's ,NEVER GET ANOUTHER !
You hear all the time "I used to ride "BUT MY WIFE " !!
RIDE, LIVE & LOVE LIFE!

Oh I'm still a Bow hunter!

Registered
Splitting is just part of riding. For me. Been doing this (riding) a long time. Air cooled bikes for the first 30 years. I was not going to roast them just because of some snot blockage on the road. Like just about everything else there is a smart way and a stupid way to do it. Can't say I NEVER cranked the side line but, most times just make headway carefully.

Registered
Splitting is just part of riding. For me. Been doing this (riding) a long time. Air cooled bikes for the first 30 years. I was not going to roast them just because of some snot blockage on the road. Like just about everything else there is a smart way and a stupid way to do it. Can't say I NEVER cranked the side line but, most times just make headway carefully.
Nearing the end of a 2012 month-long road trip that included the California coast and Western Canada, I found myself Southbound on I-35 in Oklahoma City at 5:00pm on a Friday. It was July and over 100 degrees. Rather than prudently stopping for the day, I rode the shoulder for 16 miles, fully prepared to happily take any tickets I received. I waived as I passed three different OKCP cruisers. The officers reciprocated. I reckon it was just too hot and too close to the weekend to penalize someone for refusing to cook in that Okie blast furnace.

Registered
My "EX WIFE" TOLD ME to sell the bike & Quit Hunting it takes to much time away from the family or she'll leave that was 25+ yrs ago ! Missed her for a bit, but got over it.
My Daughter rides a 250 Ninja & I just got my Grandson a new Yamaha 80 Grizzly 4 wheeler for Christmas to go with his TTR 50. We don't talk to the ex that much Daughter is married & a Nurse, rides to work. Me 65 retired been on 2 wheels for 47 yrs. Good times bad times I've had my share ! Still Ride !
VTX1800C, VTX1800F IS WHAT I'M ON ALLMOST 1MILLION MILES YES YOU READ THAT CORRECT!
FIRST MOTORCYCLE
SEARS 160. THEN H2 Kawasaki, Z1 900,GPZ1100,KZ1100 Spector, Goldwing 1200,Suzuki Bandit 1200, VTX1800C, VTX1800F. Still have both VTX'S.
IT'S been a wonderful life
I went to M/C Mechanics school, am a certified Car, ,truck, Transit Coach (buses) Mechanic Retired!
Now it run a M/C salvage shop to stay busy!
One thing I know from all or most people who sell there M/C's ,NEVER GET ANOUTHER !
You hear all the time "I used to ride "BUT MY WIFE " !!
RIDE, LIVE & LOVE LIFE!

Oh I'm still a Bow hunter!
God, that Sears Allstate was an ugly bike. But not as ugly as my 65' Bridgestone 90. My brother had a 67' Montgomery Ward Riverside 125 that was a tree magnet.

Registered
I always had a bike since 14, I am 53 now. My wife doesn鈥檛 really like ridding on the back. During the past 10 years or so I can count on one hand and still have several fingers left, how many times she got on the back. Worked great actually, I liked the solitude and she knew I wouldn鈥檛 give it up. Well I bought a Goldwing now she wants to ride. So much for my solitude she even wants to plan a over nighter. I never understood why they sell motorcycles with solo seats until now.

Old Goat
I havent quit鈥.but u folks know why I cant鈥..>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>for the moment鈥 know its selfish to let the bike sit鈥ut I鈥檓 doing my best to maintain it with the hopes I can resume the life鈥.many reasons for quitting and they all should be personal and nobodies business鈥︹ere鈥檚 hoping to keeping your kneez in the breeze for as long as u can鈥est 鈥淥鈥 luck鈥.

Registered
God, that Sears Allstate was an ugly bike. But not as ugly as my 65' Bridgestone 90. My brother had a 67' Montgomery Ward Riverside 125 that was a tree magnet.
My first bike was the Allstate 250 twingle. Didn't think it was ugly at the time. Buddies had a 175 Bridgestone and a Honda S ninety, my Allstate was faster.

Premium Member
I live just north of Dallas in Flower Mound so it is becoming more of a chore every day to enjoy local rides. I have only ridden in Dallas 4 times. Just to head north or west is becoming a challenge. So most of my rides are out of the DFW area for a few days.

I started with a 165, 2 stroke Harley at 16. Sold it and later moved to a 650 BSA Lightning while in college. Sold it and bought a Corvette and a boat. Much later I bought a 500 triple Suzuki when I was 30. Then i added 850 Suzuki full dresser. I had both when I met my first wife.

At 33 you'd think with all these toys I would have more sense than to get married, but I did. I sold the 500 because I wanted to before we got married. Although we had our issues she never said to sell the 850. It got to the point of not having time to ride so the 850 was gone. Kids will do that.

She did tell me to sell my Corvette to which I replied, "It was here before you and it will be here after you". Guess what, after telling her that, I still have the Corvette but not her. LOL That was 32 years ago.

After 26 years of not riding, 14 years ago I bought my VTX which I still have. I have put 144,000 miles on it. I also have a Yamaha Royal Star Venture S that I have put 64,000 miles on. At 73 I still average almost 15,000 miles/yr.

My present wife (married 27 years) is so understanding she encourages me to take motorcycle trips and even Iron Butt rides. She even told me if I would feel safer on a Spyder to go buy it. She has even said she is worried that some day I may not be able to ride and my gusto for life will fade. She knows it is my passion.

Yes, one day I may loose my desire or my ability. I will probably try a Spyder or a sidecar. I don't like the feel of a trike.

My Uncle gave it up a year ago at 87. He was having trouble with dizzy spells. He still works on motorcycles so he does have to test ride them once in awhile.

Many reasons can cause a person to give it up.

I just don't want to be told I have to stop riding by anyone. I will decide!

Registered
I live just north of Dallas in Flower Mound so it is becoming more of a chore every day to enjoy local rides. I have only ridden in Dallas 4 times. Just to head north or west is becoming a challenge. So most of my rides are out of the DFW area for a few days.

I started with a 165, 2 stroke Harley at 16. Sold it and later moved to a 650 BSA Lightning while in college. Sold it and bought a Corvette and a boat. Much later I bought a 500 triple Suzuki when I was 30. Then i added 850 Suzuki full dresser. I had both when I met my first wife.

At 33 you'd think with all these toys I would have more sense than to get married, but I did. I sold the 500 because I wanted to before we got married. Although we had our issues she never said to sell the 850. It got to the point of not having time to ride so the 850 was gone. Kids will do that.

She did tell me to sell my Corvette to which I replied, "It was here before you and it will be here after you". Guess what, after telling her that, I still have the Corvette but not her. LOL That was 32 years ago.

After 26 years of not riding, 14 years ago I bought my VTX which I still have. I have put 144,000 miles on it. I also have a Yamaha Royal Star Venture S that I have put 64,000 miles on. At 73 I still average almost 15,000 miles/yr.

My present wife (married 27 years) is so understanding she encourages me to take motorcycle trips and even Iron Butt rides. She even told me if I would feel safer on a Spyder to go buy it. She has even said she is worried that some day I may not be able to ride and my gusto for life will fade. She knows it is my passion.

Yes, one day I may loose my desire or my ability. I will probably try a Spyder or a sidecar. I don't like the feel of a trike.

My Uncle gave it up a year ago at 87. He was having trouble with dizzy spells. He still works on motorcycles so he does have to test ride them once in awhile.

Very much like vaxx mandates and Gov't. over-reach in every aspect of our lives. Kudo's to you, Sir.

Reactions: Capt. Rory
21 - 35 of 35 Posts