Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have stock 180/70R16 on rear. How wide of a tire can I put on the factory rim? Is there a wider rim available, if so, how wide can I go WITHOUT replacing the swingarm?
Also, going "Darkside". Is there a certain tire to put on? The Sumitomo HTRZ-11 looks great. Also, where does one get a CT mounted on the bike? Dealer and local tire shop won't touch it.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
@00 will go with no mods. A wider rim is the 1800. Bolts on, it's a 16 instead of 15", and 5" wide instead of 3.5".
As far as dark side, 205/65 is about the perfect size, no mods.
Brand is totally preference.
Better minds will come along!

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
my 2 c

You'll need to look at smaller tire shops. They will take your business without much hassle, esp. if you buy the tire from them. Don't forget 3 oz. dynabeads in the rear. I'll be going darkside later this year, with a General Altimax RT 205-65-16. Run somewhere between 38 and 42 psi till you find your "sweetspot".

·
Registered
473 Posts
darkside is the way to go

Just went darkside about 4,000 miles ago and love the wide tire look and the ride and the tire life...cant go wrong.. mine is a 205/65-15 "S" model. 205/65-16 will work great on your bike.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You can easily fit a 200 on the stock rim with no modifications , however it will wear out faster. The tread depth isn't as deep as the 180. I burned through a couple of different 200's in 8000 miles or less and went back to a 180.
12000 on my last Dunlop Elite 3.
And I will never betray Obi Wan and go over to the darkside.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Wayne,

You don't like cookies, do you? LOL

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Currently have stock 180/70R16 on rear. How wide of a tire can I put on the factory rim? Is there a wider rim available, if so, how wide can I go WITHOUT replacing the swingarm?
Also, going "Darkside". Is there a certain tire to put on? The Sumitomo HTRZ-11 looks great. Also, where does one get a CT mounted on the bike? Dealer and local tire shop won't touch it.

Thanks!
......................205/65/16 is about it on the stock C model rim. Not too sure about the RSTs. As far as mounting, pull your wheel, travel over to my house with your new tire, pay me 25.00 for mounting and 3ozs of beads for balance, and go home to install it........................your about 30-40 minutes from me.

PM if interested.

Show

1 - 9 of 9 Posts