Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, please forgive me for the quick post, however just wanted to jump to a solution with your help.

Problem- 1800VTX (FatBack will not start!) When I turn the key and press the starter switch the motor turns over however the PGM-FI light does not come on and I don't hear a buzzing noise. I have not checked the plugs for fire but my feeling is there is none. Thanks for any and all help!!

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
I had this problem with my 1800 a while back. Make sure the emergency kill switch is in the run position. If it is and still wont start, rock that kill switch back and forth several times with the key on and the start button pressed. If it starts, leave the kill swtch in the run position until you can replace it. Mine eventually started and I got a new kill switch assembly to fix it.

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
There are two 30 amp fuses in the left cover.
One is for the FI system, one for the Main(Starter switch Relay/lights).
You need to have fuel pump prime when IGN turned on and Kill switch in RUN position.
Check the 2 pin connector (Melted main wire-Bareass)with Red and Red/White wires
near the Starter relay. A drawing if you or someone you know can test. Black/white feeds the FI electrical. Engine Stop Relay(ESR) connects the +12v battery to the Black/white wire.
ESR postive trigger is the Kill/Run switch.. ESR negative trigger is the Bank angle Sensor..
Hopefully better to understand now.

Attachments

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Super Moderator
64,003 Posts
Don't bother with hitting the start button until you hear the fuel pump prime. It will never start without a fuel pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you for the info. I tried rocking the stop switch while trying to start, still did not start. I also check the two 30 amp fuses on the left side and they were ok. I will check the 2 pin connector as Hans&Feet suggest. My PGM-FI light now lights red, and nor do I hear the bussing when I turn the key on. The fuel pump is not priming, I wonder what that will cost. Thanks for the help I will keep on plugging along and check out the 2 pin connector.

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
A test light is a great tool.
+12v from FI fuse Red/White(stripe) to 2 pin connector to Engine Stop relay(ESR).
If all is well than ESR contact closes and all Black/White wires get +12v.
ECM does diagnostics, does the fuel pump(FP) prime.
You and remove the 3 pin connector from the fuel tank and use the testlight to see if it puts +12v to the FP.
>>You can also put +12v and Ground onto the FP and see if it runs.
Green = ground and Brown would need the +12v >>>3 pin conn TO FP<<<
There has been two or three cases where the ECM was not energizing the FP relay.
A connection of the FP to the Black/Wire was made and owners rode their X again.

·
Super Moderator
64,003 Posts
Again, don't bother hitting the start button or rocking the stop switch until you get the fuel pump to prime the system. If the fuel pump doesn't come on, it wouldn't matter if you put brand new start button and stop switch, it still would never start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the help guys keep in mind I am 68 years old and don't move to fast. I will be trying all your suggestions it just may take some time. I ordered a test light a few days ago and got it yesterday. You'll enjoy your riding now because one day you just wake up and you're old.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks again for the help guys keep in mind I am 68 years old and don't move to fast. I will be trying all your suggestions it just may take some time. I ordered a test light a few days ago and got it yesterday. You'll enjoy your riding now because one day you just wake up and you're old.
I have a year on you and still enjoying my 2002 R hoping to get well over 165 k before I call it quiets! Your only as old as you want to be, keep riding and enjoying life these are great motorcycles!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts