Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you clean your windshield ??.I put mine in the shower on hot for about five minutes and all that i have to do is dry it off.No scrubbing with any type of cleaners at all.It removes ALL the bugs and then i just put a light coat of Wizards Mist and Shine on it.I was using peroxide cause it disolves protein and bugs are basically nothing but protein,but i find the shower requires absolutely no srcubbing.Just thought i would pass this on.If you really love your windshield,you can get in the shower with it,but my wife keeps me happy for now,so i just let it shower by itself :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
64,344 Posts
There is an easier way. Wet a couple of rags or peper towels and slap them on the shield while you wash the bike. The same principle as yours, water softens the guts for easy wipe clean and not guts in the shower or need to remove the shield

·
Super Moderator
64,344 Posts
I don;t wash mine with water either, but once or twice a year. But I will still use the soaked rags while I'm spray washing it 8)

·
Registered
405 Posts
cleaning the windshield

Another easy way is to use Pledge furniture polish. Spray on, let set for 15 seconds, wipe off with towel and polish with soft cloth. A side benefit is rain streams off and the 2nd time you use it the bugs come off even easier. Also works well when cleaning chrome or dash panel.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Dray

·
Registered
144 Posts
Anyone use RainX on there Windshield? I see that National Cycle has a special rain repellent that the sell.... thinking it is the same as RainX.

In the aviation world I have always been read and been told to use only special acrylic or Plexiglas cleaners. If not your expensive aircraft windshield and windows will cloud up or discolor over time.

Figure the same should be true with motorcycle windshields.

Shiner

·
Registered
144 Posts
Anyone use RainX on there Windshield? I see that National Cycle has a special rain repellent that the sell.... thinking it is the same as RainX.

In the aviation world I have always been read and been told to use only special acrylic or Plexiglas cleaners. If not your expensive aircraft windshield and windows will cloud up or discolor over time.

Shiner

·
Xtreme Member
4,850 Posts
I had a quick release and the fastest way for me to get it clean was to pop it off and wash it in the tub with dish soap & water. I could have it really really clean in seconds.

I like the idea of killing 2 birds with one stone and taking a shower with it though :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Shiner said:

Shiner
General consensus on the board is that rainX will ruin the shield over time.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Shiner said:
Shiner
Good God, no ... don't use RainX on Plexi shields!!

I almost ruined a brand new windshield on my ST with that stuff. When it hazed up, it wouldn't come off; it was almost like it soaked into the plastic. I sweated out a few gallons and made up some new cuss words that day scrubbing it off. I never made that mistake again.

Now I use damp paper towels to get the crud off, and then hit it with Honda Clean.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use Plexus, works great with the bugs and stuff, really keeps the shield looking new.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
There is an easier way. Wet a couple of rags or peper towels and slap them on the shield while you wash the bike. The same principle as yours, water softens the guts for easy wipe clean and not guts in the shower or need to remove the shield
+1

.... using soft terry cloth towels (like an old bath towel). Follow up with Plexxus for polish and protection.

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
btx said:
I just use Wizards Mist and shine to remove the bugs and keep the whole bike clean, Windshield still looks like new with 25k miles on it.
Yup,that Wizards Mist & Shine is great.It works on Paint,glass,chrome and it takes the bugs off the chrome and paint with ease.I won't use anything else.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Oh, but on a long road trip I carry just a can of Honda Polish and some soft towels... that works for the paint, chrome, and windshield. I winced every time my riding buddies whipped out the scrubber/squeegee at the gas station and cleaned their shields. Ack!!

Rob

·
Registered
415 Posts
A wet towel after every ride. Wet it and dry it with another towel. If you do not let the bugs harden they come right off. Then I finish it with Honda spray.

Peter De

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Wipe with a soft wet towel and finish it of with Turtle Wax Ice.

A shower! LOLOLOLOL true sickness.. :D :D :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.