Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting Memphis or Switchblade windshield for 1300R...any tips or issues with either would be appreciated....I plan on getting the full length model of either probably 21" since I am 6-2..
Help..
Can some one explain buffeting....that I read about???
Also have looked at a few bikes and noticed some of the lexan on some of them seems a little thicker or stiffer to me....am I imagining this...in particular the ones on Honda's that I looked at in Daytona...
Do the taller shield wabble at all at say 65mph
thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have the National Cycle Switchblade system on my C. I use the "Deflector" windshield w/ a full face helmet, and it is perfect for me. I'm 5'10". However, when I wear the half helmet w/ wiley goggles with that windshield, I get a vibration at my head, to where looking out the goggles is like looking at my mirrors, :( , like if you shake your head in small amounts, really fast. The 2-up windshield, that mounts to the switchblade system, pops right in to the same mount, and I no longer have the buffeting effect w/ the half helmet. My sweety on the passenger seat is comfortable also. I use the deflector w/ the full face for going to work, and when its cold. Then use the 2-up for tooling around the neighborhood, or on long trips, w/ the half helmet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am 6'1" & have the Memphis 21" with lowers. (Lowers keep the wind from coming under & really cut it down) I also have a Mustang seat which sits you a little lower.

The buffeting (shaking) occurs at high speeds. If I'm doin 65 -70 there is usually no problem - more than that or add in wind & you get windshield shaking.

Helmet buffeting is a different story. This occurs with my 1/2 helmet (I don't notice it at all with my full), just as it would if you had no windshield. The wind goes over the top of the shield & tries to rip the helmet from your head. But it's no way as severe.

So unless the shield is taller or wider your really only looking at style & price. I had a neighbor that had the Memphis & rode his bike & my choice was made.

Good luck !

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cin,

I had a ton of helmut buffeting with my Memphis Fats. I switched to a Honda shield and the buffeting is MUCH reduced.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fats 19" on a 2004 1300S...5'9" and i get a good share of buffeting with an open face helmet. More than I would have guessed. Scrambles your brains a little but you get used to it after the first few miles I guess.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the Switchblade 2up and was amazed how calm it is behind the shield. I am 5'10" and have no problem, at 6'2" you should look just over the top, I look through the top 2". The great thing is being able to take off the shield or replace it with another style in just a few seconds!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have a retro with a 21" fats...I added the lowers and the buffetting was reduced. No more MR Bobble Head. :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx for the input guys......will probably order this week...........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts