Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love mmy wind shield on my 1800-c , but when i take it off it looks awesome to see those big risers and drag bars on it . But down the road at 70 mph the wind is a little to much ,not to mention the wife hates it.
how does everyone else feel

·
Registered
983 Posts
same .......... I'm lazy now and don't ever take it off. But it sure looks good on other folks bikes. I feel so much better after a 500 mile day. Cya
Lep

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't like the look of a windshield on a cruiser, especially the X (JMHO). I ride so much (about 2000-2500+ miles/month) without one, the wind doesn't bother me anywhere near enough to put one on mine. Again, just my 2 cents...............OUT!

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
After riding a Valkryie with no windshield and then the VTX with no windshield you could really feel the wind on the VTX trying to push you off the bike and its really tiring. The Valkryie with no windshield was like riding the VTX with a windshield. Its a must for our bike. I have noticed something kinda odd. When we pull the trailer behind the bike I no longer get that helmet vibration (wind buffetting) at 80. So the arodynamics must change pulling a big trailer like ours. We get alot of very windy days here so the windshield really helps.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I kinda worried about ruining the look of the C with a windshield but the MS Alley Cat is small and cuts just enough wind, yet goes good with the lines of the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A windshield is a must for me. I would rather clean the bug guts off the windshield. If you ever get caught in the rain you will be glad you had one on. It helps on cool mornings and when your going down the interstate at 75mph. For me it has everything to do with function than looks. Most of the best looking bikes to me are the ones without a windshield.
Further on up the road,

G

·
0 Posts
windshield

I'm probably showing my age, but for long trips my windshield is a must.
I took some 300 mile trips w/o windshield and had to hold on for dear life because of the wind. I was wore out too. Decided right then I needed a shield for longer trips.

I took a 410 mile day trip last summer w/ 2 buddies. 2 of us had windshields and the 3rd did not (1500 Mean Streak). My buddy w/ the Mean Streak was worn down visibly at the end of the day. He's getting a windshield this spring, but a quick detach style like mine.

I agree our X's look so much better w/o the shields and by prompting from my 17 yr old son, I take mine off when cruising around town. But for trips, I gotta have mine on.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Love the look and the wind without but gotta have it for long trips. The NC Switchblade was the answer for me. On or off in 2 seconds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
After just finishing a 2 day 1200 mile trip without a windshield, I will be putting one on. Only for the long rides, my neck is still a little sore from fighting the wind. Also good for the bugs. I dont see how some riders can ride without a helmet and windshield at highway speeds. After a few big bugs splattered on my forehead, ouch. For cruising around town will probably keep her naked

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Say what you want "C" included after 300 miles that windshield makes a huge difference at the end of the day. I've got the National Cycle 2-up. pops on pops off. I wouldn't trade it for the world 8)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I always ride with my Hondaline windshield. It does take away from the looks of the C model. I had my shield off the other night while installing Progressinve springs and the X is a sexy bike without it especially with the Kewlmetal risers raking the bars back like they do. But I've ridden without a windshield in the past and the wind fatigue and bugs just aren't worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The VTX is the most turbulent bike I've ever ridden. The aerodynamics seem to direct 100% of the wind right at your chest and head. I never wanted a windshield because I love the street rod look, but I decided I had to have one for long trips. After putting my QUICK DETACH Rifle Solo on, I NEVER take it off. We're talking night and day difference, I tell everyone, once you put a shield on the X you'll rarely or never take it off.

G

·
0 Posts
Here is my two cents, This in my second 1800c I put a wind shield on both, It does take the "LOOK" away and so does bags, But the up side is you get less wind burn and not to mention bug guts on you, I really think that the bugs here are eating rocks! I have had the Honda line sheild with the clear view replacement plastic, the bigger the better! all in all it is your bike do what is best for you, I don't care what people think about my huge shield, it is not on there for looks it is protection, bugs, wind, rocks and the bugs that have ate rocks :lol: I do have some dents on the chrome from rocks from trucks and cars so if you think what it would be like to get hit in the face with a rock that just got slung from a tire at 60 mph. :( Now go out and do what is best for you!!!!

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Windshields are for cars and girls!!! :D If I want to sit behind a windshield I drive my truck. Maybe when I am an old fart I may change.

Windshield on a motorcycle is an oxymoron.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The only time I used a windshield was when I came across the country in 5 days. Day two I was extremely tired and bought a 50 dollar windshield which was the best thing I have ever done. It doesnt look so bad anymore. Havent used it since the trip though.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Give me the windshield!

Comfort is the number one item, do not like arm, shoulder, & neck fatigue after a long ride. From reading some of the statements above age may have something to do with the decision. After turning 50 a few years back the windshield on a bike just was more appealing!

Life is Grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Safe, Take Care, Dan
:coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1:

·
Registered
87 Posts
After 3 surgeries for carpal tunnel, I couldn't hold on to the thing at 80 for very long. I put the hondaline winshield on and like the looks and it makes it so much nicer. Also if I ride without a helmet I can see. Without it the wind just made it impossible without glasses on. I wouldn't ride it without the windshield any more. Don't mind the looks personally.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts