Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, getting my 1800R dialed in. It came with a Memphis Fats 19" windshield, which is great. But I'm 6'2", and the screen only comes even with my lower lip. So I'm thinking I'll need at least a 21-22 inch windshield. I'm getting a good bit of buffeting as it is now.

Since I'm looking anyway, I wanted to compare windshields to batwing fairings. Not really seeing too many comparisons between the two. Has anyone had both that could offer an opinion?

Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey gang, getting my 1800R dialed in. It came with a Memphis Fats 19" windshield, which is great. But I'm 6'2", and the screen only comes even with my lower lip. So I'm thinking I'll need at least a 21-22 inch windshield. I'm getting a good bit of buffeting as it is now.

Since I'm looking anyway, I wanted to compare windshields to batwing fairings. Not really seeing too many comparisons between the two. Has anyone had both that could offer an opinion?

Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi Barlows,
I have a 1300S and just switched from windshield to bat wing. I am also 6'2" so I know the buffeting you are talking about. My bat wing is not any higher than the windshield. I wanted it that way. The buffeting is reduced but not gone. My friend has an 1800R with a windshield. He swears by the shields you put down by your legs. Not sure of the name. He says those really helped. I am not sure of the height of his shield. Hope this helps a little.

·
Super Moderator
64,003 Posts
They are called "Lowers" and an easy way to tell if that is where the wind is coming from all you have to do is put your left hand down on the tank. If the buffeting lessens then the lowers are the way to go

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I had a windshield and lowers on my Shadow and had almost 0 buffeting. On my X I have a MS batwing and it definitely offers more protection from the wind. I do experience buffeting, but it’s because I have no lowers. With my passing lights the signals hang down and prevent me from adding Lowers, but I have a plan for that.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
I have an 1800R with a Hondaline windshield and no lowers and I get 0 buffettng even in crosswinds I 'm 6'3". I had a fairing on my last two bikes and I much prefer the windshield option over the fairing.

Sent from my SUN ULTRA-80 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it out for a bit this morning, and playing with head position, I can quiet things down a bit. So definitely will swap out for a taller shield.

I could also feel quite a bit of air coming up the side of the tank. Will play with the positioning of the new shield first, before deciding if lowers are needed.

Thanks guys!
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1800c. I am 6'2". Have been fighting buffeting for two years. Had short and tall windshields with no luck. Batwing with lowers did better, but not perfect. Taller windshield on the batwing did even better but I did not like to see through it. All buffeting ended when I installed the laminar flow shield on the batwing. Even though it is a short shield it really works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not familiar with that shield. Is it the "spoiler" one that Memphis lists in their site?

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm 6'0" and have had my 1800c since Oct 2001 and now have about 66,000 miles on it. I had Memphis Shades windshield with lowers for the first 18 years, but last year I switched to Memphis Shades batwing and wish I'd done that 10 years ago!

For the windshield I have 4 different heights and would change them in various seasons, but prefer tall for cold and wet weather and short for hot.

For the batwing I also have 2 different height shields (5" and 9") but I tend to keep the higher 9" on most of the time because it helps to keep the bugs out of my helmet / eyes. I also have the lower air deflectors on the batwing and have not taken them off for summer. But for winter riding I put on the lowers I had with my windshield and it all seems to work well together.

Overall I really like the batwing over the windshield. The hand protection is something I haven't had which decreases bugs flying up my sleeve (and stinging / biting me!), the bad weather protection is better. I also didn't want a radio in the batwing, so Memphis Shades was great for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A windshield is just that..., but a batwing is the schnitz! I wish I had a picture of Ashli's bike. Spike, do you have any pictures of her bike?
The custom guages, stereo with Weather Band, CB, integrated garage door opener, integrated cell phone adapter. That bike was incredible!

I had a Hondaline on my '03 VTX18C that I added a 2"+2" Clearview Shield using the Holdaline frame, it worked GREAT!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an 1800R with a Hondaline windshield and no lowers and I get 0 buffettng even in crosswinds I 'm 6'3". I had a fairing on my last two bikes and I much prefer the windshield option over the fairing.

Sent from my SUN ULTRA-80 using Tapatalk
Yes they were very expensive for the time but I still have mine on my 2002 after 145,000 km working well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
A windshield is just that..., but a batwing is the schnitz! I wish I had a picture of Ashli's bike. Spike, do you have any pictures of her bike?
The custom guages, stereo with Weather Band, CB, integrated garage door opener, integrated cell phone adapter. That bike was incredible!

I had a Hondaline on my '03 VTX18C that I added a 2"+2" Clearview Shield using the Holdaline frame, it worked GREAT!
Pics of this bike would be great ! I read a lot about it in the topics here, but never saw a picture ! Thanks in advance and merry christmas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I finally bit the bullet and picked up an MS batwing. With a 12" clear shield, my X is like a whole new bike! I'm going to also try a 9" spoiler before calling it done. I now see what all the fuss is about!

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am a batwing guy... When I take my batwing off I do see how beautiful the bike is without it, but then I go for a ride and remember why I have my batwing.

UPDATE:

·
Registered
63 Posts
View attachment 183934

I finally bit the bullet and picked up an MS batwing. With a 12" clear shield, my X is like a whole new bike! I'm going to also try a 9" spoiler before calling it done. I now see what all the fuss is about!
I am not really fond of the look of a fairing on a bike but after seeing yours its kind of growing on me. My bike is similar in color and your fairing blends and flows well. in my opinion. Thanks for posting a pic of your ride. Beautiful by the way!!

Reactions: barlows
1 - 19 of 19 Posts