Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my MS batwing off to get it painted. Riding now with my MS windshield. I get wobble at speeds above 60 mph. Never did before. (Not that I noticed.) Since this term is used often, let me explain what I mean. If I hit a rain groove, lane reflectors, or anything that makes my bike want to track, when I pop my bike out of this tracking, the bike wants to shimmy back and forth about 3-5 times both front and rear. My rear OEM shock bushings are worn out and will be replaced today.

1. Does my Batwing really effect my handling as much as it seems to?

2. Does this sound like rear shock bushings or Fork Neck Bearings?:dontknow:

3. I :tools: only limited. I am sure that I can replace my shock bushings, but I am a little afraid of tearing into my forks to replace the neck bearings with ALLBalls. How difficult for a semi mechanically inclined, but inexperienced wrencher to change them out? Should I be concerned that if I try the front end and don't get the adjustment nuts torqued correctly, I will make matters worse.

Please:bowdown: help me out.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
You might want to list where you are from so if another VTXOA member lives close you just might get an assist.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
you might try and adjust the windshield. I would think if it was the neck bearings it would have done that before taking off the batwing. If the only change you have done was to take of the batwing and put on the windshield i would start there.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all. This board is fantastic. Never do I feel intimated about asking questions, nor about giving responses to others questions. I will change my bushings, check my tire pressure and try it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW

I lifted my bike up to take the shocks off in order to replace the bushings. My left shock top bolt was about 2 turns loose. I could see a gap between the bolt and the washer. I unscrewed it easily by fingers.

Question to all who know. If I lose a shock how much of a disaster is it at speed. Does my swingarm collapse? Will the bike just lean to that side? Or is it all over for me???

:?::?::?:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts