Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First year I am storing my bike on a lift stand. Anyone had a bad experience doing this. Shocks and forks will be extended for about 5 months. Just checking.

Attachments

·
Old Goat
24,227 Posts
I dont see a problem..many do....but for me I got plenty of room and Ive always left mine Down,winterized and pointing toward the door..:grin2:......14 years zero problems...and FYI. tires dont get flat spots like they might have back in the day....good luck

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
wait.

bikes use to have center stands from the factory.... so bike can park with no weight on tires off the ground... for months/years.

my VTX has been on a stand every winter since 2005......no issues...
my stand has wheels.. so bike is "ROLLED" up to the WALL...

this photo... taken 1984...

tire replacement on my 1983 Goldwing Aspencade.

but you get the idea...

·
Registered
706 Posts
wait.

bikes use to have center stands from the factory.... so bike can park with no weight on tires off the ground... for months/years.

my VTX has been on a stand every winter since 2005......no issues...
my stand has wheels.. so bike is "ROLLED" up to the WALL...

this photo... taken 1984...

tire replacement on my 1983 Goldwing Aspencade.

but you get the idea...

Center stands still left one tire on the floor.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members/95246-smurfy71-albums-my-vtx1300-picture40314-img-1373.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I do it not for the tires........... I do it to lighten the load on the springs..

I keep my stuff forever... my 86 Golding till 2005 and got the VTX.

when I had my 79 Corvette... I kept it up on jack stands every winter...

when you work to get the look/ride just right.. why let the springs SAG from sitting weight.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Springs don’t wear out from sitting, they wear out from being cycled. (At least not with modern materials, maybe in the olden days)
Even on a lift, the spring is still going to be under preload....so unless you are also disassembling your forks and shocks, there really isn’t a point.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Springs don’t wear out from sitting, they wear out from being cycled. (At least not with modern materials, maybe in the olden days)
Even on a lift, the spring is still going to be under preload....so unless you are also disassembling your forks and shocks, there really isn’t a point.

I was concerned about the forks mostly. If the seals were going to be in a place where they haven't been rubbing, then leaking in the spriing..

·
Registered
308 Posts
i like to use the kickstand for winter storage.
keeps the weight of the bike distributed evenly over the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I keep my bikes with center stands on them during long term storage. The others are parked on their tires. Once I left a Sportster on its tires for ten years without a problem with the tires, suspension, or anything else.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was concerned about the forks mostly. If the seals were going to be in a place where they haven't been rubbing, then leaking in the spriing..
Honda 2004 VTX 1300 S

Every winter I put my bike up on a stand - http://www.pepsx.com/products.html
I have done so every since the Winter of 2004-05 and I still have the orginal rear shocks on the bike. The only thing I have replaced is the rear shock bushings but that is do to the cheap nature of the OEM bushing coupled with a lot of miles ridden.

Puting your bike up on a stand for the Winter has no effect on your rear shocks or front fork springs. I have replaced the front springs with a set of Progressive - https://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1465/fork-spring-kit but again that is due to the nature of the OEM springs, and smoother ride with the Progressive springs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts