Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Reap or anyone else that has done this....

I been meaning to ask you about wiring up some speakers and was reminded by Ace's email about his new xm's. Do you have any kind of diagram or ideas that might help me? It is a 100 watt amp and 2 speakers so they should have a separate, fused circuit I am thinking.

Hope you are doing well my friend.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Jeff,

You need to know what the amp draw is for this amplifier. That info should be listed in the owners manual or on the tech specs. Most amps about that size will work fine on a 10 Amp circuit. There is a triple switch from Kuryakyn that mounts on the master cylinder cover that is (3) 10 amp switches. Depending on your model VTX there may be a spare 30 Amp "switched" circuit you can tie into. The term Switched means that it goes on / off with the ignition so you can't forget and leave it on and run down the battery. It's a pretty easy add-on and you can get the directions at www.bareasschoppers.com. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
There you are Jeff, but if you still are not sure, let me know, and I will help you with it bro.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Most car amplifiers get wired directly to the battery (positive and ground)and already have a fuse in them. They are turned off and on by supplying a 12V signal (very little current) to the "remote" terminal so you can pretty much tap it anywhere on the bike that powers up with the key. I would still put a switch in there so the amp is not always powered when the bike is on.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
bluto said:
Most car amplifiers get wired directly to the battery (positive and ground)and already have a fuse in them. They are turned off and on by supplying a 12V signal (very little current) to the "remote" terminal so you can pretty much tap it anywhere on the bike that powers up with the key. I would still put a switch in there so the amp is not always powered when the bike is on.

You still want to fuse it at the battery, the fuse in the amp protects the amp, but you still have an unfused wire all the way back to the battery. At work he have seen tons of fires under the hoods of cars from unfused amp wires. Just a side note here, but it is important to do.

Here is a nice setup, for not alot of cash down, and it would work well with an MP3, or an XM setup.

http://www.motorcycletunes.com/products.asp?cat=86

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Reaper said:
You still want to fuse it at the battery, the fuse in the amp protects the amp, but you still have an unfused wire all the way back to the battery. At work he have seen tons of fires under the hoods of cars from unfused amp wires. Just a side note here, but it is important to do.
Then either the wrong gage wire or fuse were installed. There is no need for 2 fuses in series on a single circuit. As for as protecting the wire, it doesn't matter where in the circuit the fuse is located provided the proper gage wire and fuse size are selected.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
bluto said:
Reaper said:
Then either the wrong gage wire or fuse were installed. There is no need for 2 fuses in series on a single circuit. As for as protecting the wire, it doesn't matter where in the circuit the fuse is located provided the proper gage wire and fuse size are selected.

If the fuse in the amp blows, there is still power going from the wire at the battery, to the amp, that is what the fuse at the battery is for, its not there for the amp, the fuse in the amp is there just for the amp. People can do it any way they want, but if that wire from the battery shorts out, and the amp fuse blows, that battery wire can still burn at its short with out the battery fuse. Im not looking for any fighting on this, but it is what this buisness started doing years ago, and is what is taught to the guys here for car audio instalation, and the wires if shorted like on the frame will burn, even if that amp fuse blows, cuz they are still hot with out a fuse. Thats all I was saying, but you guys can do as you wish.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. I think I might be able to handle it on my own.

The mc tunes speakers is what i oredered Reaper...heard good revues.

Thanks again, Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts