Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on front end wobble, and I got tons of hits about replacing the neck bearings as a fix to the 40-50 mph wobble.

I have already replaced the neck bearings to fix that problem, but I'm still having a wobble problem that has existed since the bike was new that is unrelated to the common 40-50mph problem.

When riding in a turn, if I hit a good sized bump I'll get a good amount of front end wobble. - Not terrible at slow speeds (20-30mph). But it has happened to me a few times at higher speeds (50+mph). At the higher speeds, the wobble is pretty extreme and it scares the living crap out of me.

Anyone else experience this and have a fix? I was thinking maybe a fork brace would fix it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
What is your bike year model and do you have fairing, windshield, etc? I had a similar situation and figured out that the neck bearings were adjusted too tight when I installed the All-balls. I have a MS Fairing so it was worse when the wind was blowing across the road also.

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
I've experienced this, too, and the guys I was riding with saw the bike doing the wobble. It is scary to say the least. I just recently changed back to my stock springs (from Progressive), I cut longer spacers (0.5" longer) out of PVC pipe to add a little more preload and I put in 15wt. fork oil. Joshwalee did this and said it made an improvement, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet at high-speed turns.

Have you ever changed anything out on the forks (oil, different springs)? If not, you may want to at least change the fork oil and put fresh oil in them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had something similar happen to me after replacing the neck bearing with All Balls bearings. It turned out that the races were not seated all the way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the neck bearings this spring with the All Balls. So I can definitely revisit that to make sure everything is seated and the bearing preload is still correct. But I did experience this a number of times even before I replaced the bearings.

The bike is a 2007 1300C model - no fairing, windshield, etc. It's wide open. Nor do I have any rake modifications. The only thing that might change the geometry a bit is the fact that I'm running a 21" mimic front wheel. Otherwise, it has almost 10k miles on it and the forks are all stock, and never been touched.

I should also mention that I did replace the rear shock bushing this spring with the good urethane ones. The stock ones were ovaled out.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I replaced the neck bearings this spring with the All Balls. So I can definitely revisit that to make sure everything is seated and the bearing preload is still correct. But I did experience this a number of times even before I replaced the bearings.

The bike is a 2007 1300C model - no fairing, windshield, etc. It's wide open. Nor do I have any rake modifications. The only thing that might change the geometry a bit is the fact that I'm running a 21" mimic front wheel. Otherwise, it has almost 10k miles on it and the forks are all stock, and never been touched.

I should also mention that I did replace the rear shock bushing this spring with the good urethane ones. The stock ones were ovaled out.
You have the same year and model that I do. No fairing or windshield rules out a wind issue for the most part. When you check the pre-load, I would change the fork oil at that time.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
What air pressure do you run in your tires? Low pressure will cause that same problem. Need to keep them at 38 to 40 PSI.

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
My bike will wallow if I hit a bump riding through a fast sweeper. The more worn the tires are..... the more pronounced the bike will wallow

How does the tread look on your tires?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My bike will wallow if I hit a bump riding through a fast sweeper. The more worn the tires are..... the more pronounced the bike will wallow

Practically brand new. Only have about 3000k on them. Avon Cobras.

W

·
0 Posts

Bike will also wollow if your shock spring settings are to low, or worn.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think I have solved the problem.

I started with the easy stuff first. Since I now have some time on the new All Balls neck bearings, I checked preload on them. All was well there. Then I doubled checked the tire pressure. All good there. Then I checked the bolts on the rear shocks since I recently upgraded the bushing. All good there.

There isn't much for reviews on the fork brace. But being that it's way more expensive that changing the fork oil, I decided to try the fork oil first.

I've rebuilt plenty of hi-performance snowmobile shocks in the past (recharged gas, played with valve stacks, compression, rebound, etc.) so I didn't think 10k miles on a motorcycle fork was anything to be concerned with. Boy was I wrong. The oil that came out was nasty! Very black, very smelly.

I replaced the oil with a bit higher weight (15wt) since I like a more aggressive ride. Bike handles much better, rides better, and I haven't yet experienced the wobbled I described earlier. So for now it seems like it's fixed.

Thanks for your input guys.

W

·
0 Posts
I went 50k before I repacked or touched the tappered bearing I put in.
Thats a hellofa lot better than every 8k :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I think I have solved the problem.

I started with the easy stuff first. Since I now have some time on the new All Balls neck bearings, I checked preload on them. All was well there. Then I doubled checked the tire pressure. All good there. Then I checked the bolts on the rear shocks since I recently upgraded the bushing. All good there.

There isn't much for reviews on the fork brace. But being that it's way more expensive that changing the fork oil, I decided to try the fork oil first.

I've rebuilt plenty of hi-performance snowmobile shocks in the past (recharged gas, played with valve stacks, compression, rebound, etc.) so I didn't think 10k miles on a motorcycle fork was anything to be concerned with. Boy was I wrong. The oil that came out was nasty! Very black, very smelly.

I replaced the oil with a bit higher weight (15wt) since I like a more aggressive ride. Bike handles much better, rides better, and I haven't yet experienced the wobbled I described earlier. So for now it seems like it's fixed.

Thanks for your input guys.
Gade, did you fix the problem? Does your bike still wobble?

·
Old Goat
25,544 Posts
Gade, did you fix the problem? Does your bike still wobble?
Check the date..9 years old...I would imagine fixed and long gone....u might try and start your own thread...also look to the bottom of page...tons of info on wobble....good luck

Reactions: MR VTX
1 - 18 of 18 Posts