Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Just wondering if this is the head bearings (the ones that so many of you have replaced with the 1800 bearings) When I am coasting down and hit 40mph, the bars wobble a bit. If I were to let go of them the bike would eventually fall over! Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
you got it, , go to hdl and order the allballs set of bearring, they are like 35 for the set , everything you need, honda , you have to order the top and the bottom, and the races, total of like 80 plus for everything and the allballs are even better, just had the mod done yesterday, damn what a difference, like night and day. good luck

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, I'll wait till winter to do 'em (if I can go that long)

Anyone have a link to specific directions for an '05 1300C?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump :oops:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think Honda should pay for the upgrade. I'm thinking of taking video of my wobble and sending it to Honda with an unhappy note. At 2500 miles on the odo my wobble is so bad now that at 40 on decel if I let go for more than a second or two, I might go down ...

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Nay and forsooth ye demons of Wobbling! Out Out ye bad demons!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I asked about this at my dealer and the guy said it looked like a tire pressure issue. Doh, I'm a dork. Though, when I check the pressure it was a tad low. I went to 40 40 front back and the wobble did reduce significantly.

So far the only things wrong with my bike haven't been covered by warranty 1) the speedo buzz
2) the wobble

what good is a warranty?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well they aren't any good, not with honda dealers anyway! That is why we have eachother! :lol:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Ok enough horse beating. I developed the wobble @11,000 miles. I kept my pressure @ 38F 40R - checked once a week during riding season. My tires never developed any cupping. My front did have left side wear as is normal. I changed the tires this winter to Metxzler marathons and replaced the steering head bearings with tapers. I rode to Memphis this week and was doing 80 mph - took both hands of the handle bar and no issues. Seriously - I have no decel wobbling and the bearings were replaced 7000 miles ago. Will keep the group posted as the miles add up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
At 5600 mine is so bad, that I all most lost it, reaching to switch over to reserve fuel. Just order the bearing, and all ready have the progressive fork spring with risers, it soon will be time for a mid summer overhaul.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't know if this is an optical illusion but .... I've noticed that while riding my x, if I look between the handle bars and the tank, it looks as though the entire front assembly is cocked a little bit to the right. No matter what speed I go, it seems like this is the case. I was going to post this as a new topic but maybe this has something to do with the wobble and uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
NetGuru said:
I don't know if this is an optical illusion but .... I've noticed that while riding my x, if I look between the handle bars and the tank, it looks as though the entire front assembly is cocked a little bit to the right. No matter what speed I go, it seems like this is the case. I was going to post this as a new topic but maybe this has something to do with the wobble and uneven tire wear.
Dude...it is like you read my mind....NO SH!T!

After my little run-in the other day with someone hitting my parked bike (but not enought to cause major damage) I have been paranoid and started looking for EVERYTHING to be wrong...

I noticed exactly the same thing......slight cockage of the bars/top brace to the right....

I feel better now....LOL

·
Registered
885 Posts
bars

+1 on the bars not being at a true right angle to the forks. :x(no optical illusion) I noticed that when I put the Kury triple tree cover on top and kind of forgot about it until I installed 8* trees. Now I notice that it looks as if the bars are warped or something. :? No pull to either side and no wobble on mine at all, even after the 8* trees and 2" fork extensions 8) (was really dreading what I was gonna have to fix after that one) on up to 95mph or better. Only replaced the lower bearings supplied with trees and all is well. :D Of course I only have 2,700 miles or so on the bike since new.
In laymans terminology: The angle of the dangle is not perpindicular to the power of the pull :shock:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
hey guts,
I just wanted to add my 2 cents on this. I believe the slight right lean is because....

1- The weight of the pipes.

2- Slight more of a push with the right hand and foot thus allowing for the left to move more freely to clutch and shift.

This is what I was told when I said the same thing !! 8)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Bar alignment

haveme1
Its not a lean
If you actually line the front wheel straight (as if you were checking alignment on a cage tire) and then sit in the seat as center as possible, without moving your head and scan right to left and back, you can notice a differance in the way the bars look in relation to the forks.
As if compairing 2 pictures, you can notice suttle but obvious differances in relation to different parts of the bike from the bars down.
This is not a sobriety test :shock: Try it and you will see for yourself, many bikes I have done this on are the same way. Mass produced parts are the culprits i presume. :roll:
Test: line your bars straight with the body of the bike and measure with tape from the end of each side of the bars to any like part(edge of seat, shock mount, foot pegs, tailight and ect.)and you will undoubtedly have different measurements at the like locations on either side.
I hope were not being tested on this. :wink:
MoeX

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do the newer 1300s have the correct bearings?

I am looking at purchasing an 07 model R.

Did Honda start installing the better bearings after a certain serial number?

Thanks,

Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts