Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When preparing too move my bike in from the street once the weather got nasty I went out and found the battery nearly dead. It took a couple of cranks but it turned over and was runnnig fine. I was going to take it into town to get it some fresh gas and a final fall ride before parking it for the winter. I realized that in my hurry I hadn't unlocked the steering column and turned the bike off to get the key. Steering unlocked ready to go, nothing.

Now, I've experienced what a low battey does when these don't have enough juice to crank that is not what I suddenly experienced. It was more like what happens when you have the kickstand down and the bike is in gear. push the button and absolutely nothing happens. No cranking, no noise, no dimming of the odometer. I kicked the kickstand up and down a few times thinking the sensor might have gone out but i'm not getting any signs of life. hoping that it was just a battery that had gotten "too dead" I put it on the charger and once charged have the exact same symptoms.

so here's my question. how do I test the various safety switches and such to find what the issue is? I know there is an interlock in the clutch, one in the kickstand and one in the transmission to sense if it's in neutral. Are those the only ones? And how do I test these and find the culprit?

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
Kick stand UP provides the Ground, clutch switch passes the Ground to the Starter Relay.
Does it crank in Neutral???
Dimming of the speedo only while cranking. No cranking = minimal voltage drop.
The Starter Switch is the most problematic part, clean and lube info in Step by Step.
Starter Switch Opens the headlight circuit when switch is operated.
More power to Starter Motor.
Starter Relay circuit in link below.

One more tidbit of info, if the battery is weak and you try cranking,
there is a good chance the the Starter relay contacts will weld together.
A common occurrence!

·
Super Moderator
63,663 Posts
Battery is first. At the very least take it out bring it to NAPA and have them load test it. If you replace the relay, and not replace the battery it will burn out the new relay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts