Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Shown is the complete power loop back to the battery of the 3 pin accessory connector located in the headlight bucket and the starter switch is also circled. So explain in electrical terms how it is possible to connect something to that conector in the headlight bucket and have it affect the starter switch in any way or even how it could affect any of the wiring since that line is fused.

In this post alone a number of common posters mentioned their switch has burned up even with nothing extra connected to it. So when a switch burns up, how is it that you determined the fault is with the lightbar on the 3 pin connector unrelated to the start switch in any way and not just another switch getting burned up from normal use.

The wiring diagram I have for my bike is different than what is shown here. In the diagram I have, the center lead [Lb] on the Op Fog Lamp connector is powered by the circuit that powers the right turn signal (after the turn signal relay; odd) and the Blue [Bu] lead comes from the Hi side of the headlight Hi-Lo switch, which definitely runs through the starter switch.

It's interesting to see two distinct wiring diagrams; what year was the manual you pulled this from printed? My manual was printed in 2002, yet I have a 2005 VTX. Maybe I need an updated manual!

I'll be verifying which wiring is actually on my bike with a voltmeter later today, as I want to get a relay on the headlight and get my light bar off of the headlight.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
In my wiring diagram, 2003 electronic copy, the blue wire (BU) that goes to the fog lamp comes from the hi beam. Can you look on your diagram to find out where your blue wires goes. I think it might be the same. In which case, this does go through the start switch.

Shown is the complete power loop back to the battery of the 3 pin accessory connector located in the headlight bucket and the starter switch is also circled. So explain in electrical terms how it is possible to connect something to that conector in the headlight bucket and have it affect the starter switch in any way or even how it could affect any of the wiring since that line is fused.

In this post alone a number of common posters mentioned their switch has burned up even with nothing extra connected to it. So when a switch burns up, how is it that you determined the fault is with the lightbar on the 3 pin connector unrelated to the start switch in any way and not just another switch getting burned up from normal use.

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
The wiring diagram I have for my bike is different than what is shown here. In the diagram I have, the center lead [Lb] on the Op Fog Lamp connector is powered by the circuit that powers the right turn signal (after the turn signal relay; odd) and the Blue [Bu] lead comes from the Hi side of the headlight Hi-Lo switch, which definitely runs through the starter switch.
Blue wire is the "trigger" (90 - 130 milliamps)for the relay that plugs into the OP fog light conn.

Schematic has the error, the Black/Brown wire is the circuit feeding +12v to the OP fog light conn. If you look at the schematic Enduro provided you can see the two hash marks to remove the incorect circuit tracing.
"B" fuse speedometer and tail light + the OP fog light with two 25w halogens on the Hondaline lightbar. I uploaded 2006 1300 VTX schematic (in two parts) to this location:
http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/1300 electrical/

Here are the fog lights specified by Honda for their lightbar::
QUANTITYREF# PART#REQ RETAIL YOUR PRICE
NIBULB (H3 12V-25W)
08V31-MCK-A00A
001$7.95$6.59

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would help if relay addition were detailed

his was the exact problem on my neighbors bike and he had it taken to a local shop as he was dead on the road. They're going to replace the switch but I'd help him add the relay if those of you who have had success would provide some details. Source for a good SS relay? Did you mount in the bucket? Any wiring tricks we should include?

As there might be a difference according to the thread - his is an 05.Thanks.

John

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
Hello John, welcome to the VTXOA.
To clean the starter switch/headlight power interrupter we refer to this site:
Starter Button Maintenance on Valkyries

Scroll down and you will also see adding a relay to switch the headlight current.

I have rewired my VTX to use separate relays for Lo/Hi beam due to excessive
voltage drop in the circuit.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/Headlight stuff/HLschematictworelaysasONswitch.jpg

Similar to this link: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthr...-and-Flasher&p=2847094&viewfull=1#post2847094

Schematic in two pages to print:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/1300 electrical/2006schematic-right.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/1300 electrical/2006schematic-left.jpg
Two fuses were upgraded in 2006(odometer memory and Fan)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.