Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure who deserves credit for CAD/CAM drawing but thank you......it worked well....

Actually very easy to make and is sturdy........just not as light as Pepsx stand

Cost - less than $15...

3 - 2' x 4' x 8' and

plenty of #9 x 2 1/2" general purpose screws #2 Philips drive Yellow Zinc Plated

Attachments

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
a VTX owner made me this... I never met him before...

welded Aluminum...

some time in the past.. I stated I disliked all the weight of Wood..

he made 3.... host of the Zanesville tech day.. Me and one for himself.

he used NEW bicycle tires to protect bike frame paint...

pop riveted to stand.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Chuck,

Nice looking bike & stand........excellent price also........let me know when you want to give up the stand.....but in the end how often are stands used if one can ride 365 days a yr. & not have to worry about placing on a stand for winter storage......

I agree.... my stand is a few pounds & a little bulky compared to yours.....but $ 159 for a new Pepsx stand.........NOT going to happen.....

Now I just have to buy a good jack.....anywhere from $100 to $300.......oh well.....the way it is.....

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
You did a fine job..

maybe you do not know... I lived in Cleveland Ohio till this past September.

so my bikes (9 total) spend every winter since 1969 cold and up on some kind of stand...

or like the Goldwings... on center stand.. corner of garage..

so 49 winters....
living on the south side of Lake Erie... we could get 2 feet of snow in 36 hours..... and have many times...
1979.. my 75 Goldwing...
the garage meter said minus 15 degrees...INSIDE..

I retired and MOVED...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Chuck,

Don't blame you one bit for moving......I grew up in South Central PA....York, PA.......got tired of back east....moved to Colorado in '81 and stayed thru '85, then on out to San Diego in '85.......never looked back.....however if I could convince my wife, I would move to Grand Junction or the western slope of Colorado in a heartbeat.......I love the high country.

I bought that '82 Yamaha Maxim brand new..... in Junction and still have it.....has a centerstand which makes things easier and it is only a 750. Would like to get rid of it.....No need for 2 bikes....

The purpose for building this stand was that I have been reading about the flange bearings, so this bike I just bought in Dec 2018 has 6k miles on it now and is due for tires - both front & rear......I am running on the original Dunlop D251 Radial tires which are 14 yrs old.......time to replace.......

So, I thought about buying a Pepsx stand.....must admit....they are nice, lightweight, sturdy, & maneuverable.....but I held off for now......so need to get a jack now, get it up on the stand, and get the tires off for replacement, & examine bearings.

I don't expect any problems with only 6k on this bike........it was a garage queen in Maryland......the bike loves the California sunshine now thou.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
as for the use of the stand..

down here in November.. I needed the stand... for a New Rear Tire..:)

sure I could and have replaced tires using only the Jack.. with the stand... bike is not moving..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just hope I don't have to take off the V&H Bigshots just to get the rear axle out......that would be a PITA.....hopefully get axle nut off, relieve pressure on rear tire underneath it, and hopefully will be able to pull axle out from left hand side.......manually & tug on it.......

Any suggestions, without having to take the pipes off........????? Much appreciated....

Where were those pics taken you have on flicker in the high country ????

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Stock,, needs the mufflers removed.... not the head pipes.. the "F" model only.

can not say about aftermarket..

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks for finding the CAD drawing, I was looking for it some time back. My brother was in need of a stand and I missed finding that. I built mine using that drawing except I lowered the upright pieces 1" because my Larin jack wouldn't raise my bike that high. The stand also makes cleaning and polishing so much easier with not having to get on the ground.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Thanks for finding the CAD drawing, I was looking for it some time back. My brother was in need of a stand and I missed finding that. I built mine using that drawing except I lowered the upright pieces 1" because my Larin jack wouldn't raise my bike that high. The stand also makes cleaning and polishing so much easier with not having to get on the ground.

True... needed for the once a year WHEEL polishing.. :)

·
Old Goat
24,812 Posts
Since were showing off stands here’s mine...Harbor Freight ATV stand......paid $34 back in the day...height adjustable and locking casters...I keep the casters locked while under the bike and dont move the bike while on the stand....served me well for 13 years...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
keeping these post active... for others to follow what we have done...

the Pepsx stand.... every time a used one got posted here or the Cafe'.. it was 1000 miles away...

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Chuck,

Nice looking bike & stand........excellent price also........let me know when you want to give up the stand.....but in the end how often are stands used if one can ride 365 days a yr. & not have to worry about placing on a stand for winter storage......

I agree.... my stand is a few pounds & a little bulky compared to yours.....but $ 159 for a new Pepsx stand.........NOT going to happen.....

Now I just have to buy a good jack.....anywhere from $100 to $300.......oh well.....the way it is.....

the person that made mine...

wants me to put it in my "Will".. so he gets it back.:)

:laugh:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the hydraulic Jack as in the background of the picture. Totally useless as it won't fit uvhfnder the my 2006 VTXC. But what I do have I got also from Harbor Freight. It's a scissor Jack about 6 in. wide, no wheels, slides right under the bike while I'm sitting on the bike and use a socket and ratchet to rise and lower the bike. Put it toward the front, center, or toward the rear depending if I just want the front tire up, rear tire up, or both wheels off the ground. Have the stock muffler and didn't have an issue removing the rear wheel with these muffler on. Bought the bike 12/31/2018, replaced tire on 2/21/2019. Front tire still good, but I have the tire ready when it needs to be replaced, which I do myself.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I have a Sears cycle jack....... was $79.00 new.

purchased it a week after I purchased my VTX1800.. 2/2005...

still works well.. the stand just stops with wiggles... and makes it easier to change the oil and filter.

I have "L" brackets on the jack.. and paint lines on the frame of bike...

so NO guessing the correct location of jack.. its correct every time.... 14 years....

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
Bilge you have a nice stand!
I am leery of pine wood, it splits easily.
If any of the screw heads went into the wood it probably split the wood some.
My wood projects have been getting a washer to keep the screw head from going into the wood.
Where the sides meet the two horizontal rails, 2 - bolts to keep each corner together.

Winlange - I use two 1/2" OSB pieces to lift my 1300C high enough to get my jack under it.
Set the pieces down, offset one an inch or so from the tire so as not to hit both at the same time.
Roll the X forward a few inches and pull back, stop on the pads.
New tires I probably would not have to do that, worn out tires definitely.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Bilge you have a nice stand!
I am leery of pine wood, it splits easily.
If any of the screw heads went into the wood it probably split the wood some.
My wood projects have been getting a washer to keep the screw head from going into the wood.
Where the sides meet the two horizontal rails, 2 - bolts to keep each corner together.

Winlange - I use two 1/2" OSB pieces to lift my 1300C high enough to get my jack under it.
Set the pieces down, offset one an inch or so from the tire so as not to hit both at the same time.
Roll the X forward a few inches and pull back, stop on the pads.
New tires I probably would not have to do that, worn out tires definitely.

both points have been well discussed on this forum for many years...

I hold my bike upright with my right hand.. slide the jack under with the left..

but that Is ME.. I am still Strong and Tall... ( @ 67 )

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hans, I was going to use black walnut.....but it was becoming price prohibitive.....went with Home Depot special

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
both points have been well discussed on this forum for many years...
I hold my bike upright with my right hand.. slide the jack under with the left..
but that Is ME.. I am still Strong and Tall... ( @ 67 )
For Me straddling VTX - left hand on left hand grip, right hand guiding jack, sometimes a VTX tilt to right or left to clear frame rails.
Right foot to verify jack down. A long reach to tighten/release the jack valve.
Whatever it takes!
Stand has worm gear hose clamps on top rails to keep it from sliding off.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts