Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a friendly reminder -
I know we should all be checking our air pressure regularly in our tires, but I just wanted to remind everyone that as the season gets colder, the pressure drops in our tires. It only takes a minute or two, so make sure you keep an eye on that.

Happy riding!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I was riding with a guy who was complaining about his reduced gas mileage and that his bike just didn't handle like it used to. We checked his tire pressure...15 psi on both front and rear. It's amazing that he didn't have a bigger problem.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
This should be part of everyone's pre-ride ritual.......

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Just a friendly reminder -
I know we should all be checking our air pressure regularly in our tires, but I just wanted to remind everyone that as the season gets colder, the pressure drops in our tires. It only takes a minute or two, so make sure you keep an eye on that.

Happy riding!
Thanks, seriously! I should have thought about adding that to my post, but glad you brought it up. Last ride for us seemed a bit 'off', totally forgot about adding the winter air to the tires!! My bad!! front tire was less than 1 pound off but the rear CT was about 5 pounds off. Ready to go again (for a spell anyhow).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
This should be part of everyone's pre-ride ritual.......
Sometimes what 'should be' and 'what is' ends up being two different situations and most of us know that. We check the tires before a long ride, but how many actually check the tires, oil and everything else just for a 'ride around the block'? Just as some of us have a heated garage/workshop and some of us have a dedicated non-heated storage shed, then there's the ones who may not have either. Just as the ones who work from home and the ones who don't.

The season is changing, temps are getting cooler ~ but many 'forget' and jump on the bike because the sun is shining and they have a chance to get a short ride in with buddies or whatever.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Good reminder....

I check mine EVERY time I take the bike out... EVERY TIME.. and have for more than 30 years...

I check my truck and wife's car tires every week (Saturday)....

I will Add... being a retired cycle mechanic.. most bikes that came into the Shop. had very low tire pressures... less then 25 psi.. Even Goldwings...

and they complain of tire life... I wonder Why.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Good reminder....

I check mine EVERY time I take the bike out... EVERY TIME.. and have for more than 30 years...

I check my truck and wife's car tires every week (Saturday)....

I will Add... being a retired cycle mechanic.. most bikes that came into the Shop. had very low tire pressures... less then 25 psi.. Even Goldwings...

and they complain of tire life... I wonder Why.
Yes sir. EVERY time my bike rolls out of the garage tire pressure gets checked. Car, monthly.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I usually check it every time before I ride . was talking to a guy Tuesday as we watched a ky trooper and 2 guys try to get a Harleys rear fender disconnected from the front bumper of a pickup truck. ,,, anyway , he said his rear tire on a 1700 yamaha came off the rim last week going around a curve . he said he now doesnt ride it cause he lost his nerve . I asked how much air was in it before. He said he put 35 lbs in it in April... He was now riding in a small 2 seated car instead . I looked at the tires and I swear they looked pretty low too . sorry to get off on a rant ,,,, op was good post , good info that's easy to forget sometimes... Eo

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Thanks to the OP and everyone who has chimed in concerning the tire pressures. As I wrote, when I checked mine, they were indeed a bit low but I am one of those folks who has a vented unheated shed for the bike. A heated garage up here would definitely be a luxury item! Also, I am one of those who will roll the bike out, give it a once over for a ride around the block when the sun is shining. If we know there's a long or special ride coming up over the weekend, I definitely check things a lot closer and with more detail on Friday before I'm off to work. Thanks again ~ Stay Safe

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Also, I am one of those who will roll the bike out, give it a once over for a ride around the block when the sun is shining. If we know there's a long or special ride coming up over the weekend, I definitely check things a lot closer and with more detail on Friday before I'm off to work. Thanks again ~ Stay Safe
:agree:

Back and forth to work everyday, the bike gets a visual once over with a visual check of the tires. Once every couple of weeks they get checked to verify they are still in the right PSI range (I prefer 40psi but will let it wander to 37-38 before airing them back up to 40psi). Usually during the summer months, no problems. It's the season changes when the pressures in the tire will change. Like you, if I am taking a longer ride/trip/vacation with the bike, the tires get checked for proper PSI before leaving (among over safety checks).

To each their own. This system has worked for me for 10+ years with this bike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I first installed my CT, I actually really liked the 32-35psi feeling... like a cadillac, smooth and soft... but it ate my gas mileage pretty bad. Performance and efficiency both go up when I've got 40 in it. My car on the other hand had been feeling pretty sluggish. I checked the pressure one week and it was down maybe 2 pounds, but then a couple weeks later (when the nights started getting really cold) and they had dropped 10 pounds.

I'm in process of wiring 4 aux lights, so I haven't been on the bike for a couple weeks sadly... waiting to get my neck covers glossed before I put it all back together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts