Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for kicks i looked at the price of Honda rear brake pads for the VTX-1300. Close to $45.00 :confused:
Can't understand why the rears would be around $15 more than the front pads, there's more pad in the front.

Also, be nice to your chrome plastic clutch cover, they are over $160.00, the little chrome timing cover is $70 + shipping.... :cautious:

Looks like i'll go aftermarket on my next set of rear pads....

·
Registered
592 Posts
What I've noticed about Honda's motorcycle oem parts and prices for discontinued models, the longer a motorcycle model is out of production, Honda seems to start increasing prices on certain parts. I don't know why Honda does this. If anyone knows please comment.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
If you do a little planning...

a vender that support this forum.. puts on Honda brake pad sales... 2 or 3 times a year.

I purchased the needed 3 sets for my VTX1800 a little time ago. about $100.00

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I think so... it was a deal.. compared to local dealership.

I do a major inspection and maintenance every year...
so I know ahead of time about brakes... etc.

my MTC clutch sat on my shelf over a year..
I knew the springs were going to let me down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I've noticed about Honda's motorcycle oem parts and prices for discontinued models, the longer a motorcycle model is out of production, Honda seems to start increasing prices on certain parts. I don't know why Honda does this. If anyone knows please comment.
Once an item goes out of production it still costs money to maintain the tooling and storage space because the OEM must provide service parts for many years. As the demand drops and the tooling continues to age the OEM may only run production parts a few times a year. Each setup for production has an upfront cost that must be amortized over fewer and fewer parts. I've been in the automotive industry for 20+ years and maintaining old stock never gets cheaper; so when it does get sold all of the accrued costs goes into the price that you pay.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Once an item goes out of production it still costs money to maintain the tooling and storage space because the OEM must provide service parts for many years. As the demand drops and the tooling continues to age the OEM may only run production parts a few times a year. Each setup for production has an upfront cost that must be amortized over fewer and fewer parts. I've been in the automotive industry for 20+ years and maintaining old stock never gets cheaper; so when it does get sold all of the accrued costs goes into the price that you pay.
While that's true, in the case of the rear brake pads for the VTX, they are used on newer models too.
Granted these models are not big sellers, ie the Honda Fury. Prices of everything seem to have gone up 20+%
in the past 2 years or so...

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I get a kick out of anyone complaining about cost of parts for Asian bikes—they obviously never owned a Harley.

The 'plan ahead' advice works anytime you're buying regular maintenance parts for your bike. I typically buy a couple years worth of oil filters and plugs when I buy them, for instance since the price is only going to rise for these.

For replacement parts that are damaged (clutch cover) your best bet for a price bargain is used via eBay or salvage yards. I've had good luck with used parts sold at Pinwall Cycle

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
I get a kick out of anyone complaining about cost of parts for Asian bikes—they obviously never owned a Harley.

The 'plan ahead' advice works anytime you're buying regular maintenance parts for your bike. I typically buy a couple years worth of oil filters and plugs when I buy them, for instance since the price is only going to rise for these.

For replacement parts that are damaged (clutch cover) your best bet for a price bargain is used via eBay or salvage yards. I've had good luck with used parts sold at Pinwall Cycle
Replacement parts for my Harley don't cost any more than parts for my Honda did ... and the aftermarket is huge. Just FYI;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

hehehe, so true, just go browse the Harley parts site before the OEM Honda parts site and one won't feel so bad about the prices...?
Also, it may not be Honda's fault, it may be greedy re-sellers in the USA and/or increased Tariff costs on imports.

Glad my clutch cover still looks great at this point. My chrome timing cover is another story, the chrome has become separated from the plastic on back edge, it's still there like a sort of bubble (de-laminating). I still think it was over tightened when the last valve clearance check was performed at the dealer, although someone suggested its a "natural" occurrence on chromed plastic with age.
When it comes to needing a new clutch i will be removing the clutch cover myself at home b4 going to the dealer for service (precautionary).

Generally i don't look for used cosmetic/aesthetic parts at junk yards or Ebay. But i will if i ever need a clutch cover...
I did check ebay for a timing cover and one is for sale, take a look at it.. Beat to crap and looks to chrome de-laminating 5 times worse than mine..lol

With the prices of these parts and the age of our bikes i now see why some have decided to paint everything Black.?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I get a kick out of anyone complaining about cost of parts for Asian bikes—
We're only renters in this world. If you were to die tomorrow, someone else will be riding you bike in the future. So we spend a few extra dollars on our bikes from time to time, it's our passion.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When i said prices went up 20+% i meant across the board pretty much, Not just motorcycle stuff, everything, in 2 yrs i bet.

·
Registered
592 Posts
When i said prices went up 20+% i meant across the board pretty much, Not just motorcycle stuff, everything, in 2 yrs i bet.
Very true. One positive note is when you can maintain and repair your own stuff, you will save money and get more life out of things.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on Pinwall Cycle web site. Tons of VTX1300 parts & pieces there.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
House of Pain quote
Try BMW parts. I swear a buddy drops $1000 every time he goes to a BMW dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was gonna order two new cable guides that mount under the top triple clamp on my 1300r. The left one is $100 and the right one is $78. Insane! The same part on the same year Shadow (shaped differently) is $12.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was gonna order two new cable guides that mount under the top triple clamp on my 1300r. The left one is $100 and the right one is $78. Insane! The same part on the same year Shadow (shaped differently) is $12.
it's that "shaped differently" part that's the kicker. If you had the entire Honda line-up from 2000 to 2019 in front of you there is probably one that inst too far off, could be gently bent etc. Trouble is identifying that part is hard as hell or extremely time consuming, plus if you didn't keep the old part to compare adds to the difficulty.

Keep trying to find used from a tear down, is the best bet. Or fabricate some.
Some of those sellers post "baskets" of misc parts from your model bike, maybe get lucky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts