Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here running the slip-ons from XChoppers, they are a good price and look good from the pics, but how's the quality and sound? I know sound is a personal preference and I have heard some on You Tube, but it is hard to tell and I cant find anybody around me that has them to listen to.

·
Registered
907 Posts
slipons

I listened to the X choppers slipons. They were not what i was looking for. I listened to alot of aftermarket pipes on the 1300 VTXs and I finally went with the Roadhouse slipons. Nice rumble to them. Different sound than alot of slipons I listened to. I like the look of the stock exhaust and the Roadhouse slipons are identical.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Slipons

I have the JC Wittney slipons that are the same,
great deal. To answer your question about sound, I think they are perfect for this engine, they sound just like the older Harleys, not overly loud, just right for two up riding and talking with the wife. JCW slipons cost
$60.00, plus you need to make a simple 1/8" steel bracket to stabilize the upper unit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
64,210 Posts
Do yourself a favor and do a quick search on the 1300 board for "x-choppers". You won't want to give them your money after reading about them

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great deal. To answer your question about sound, I think they are perfect for this engine, they sound just like the older Harleys, not overly loud, just right for two up riding and talking with the wife. JCW slipons cost
$60.00, plus you need to make a simple 1/8" steel bracket to stabilize the upper unit.
Thanks for the feed back, how long have you been running them, and hows the quality?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought some x-choppers when I bought my bike in 05. I thought they were too loud for me so I took them off. About 6 months later I thought I would put them back on and try again. Nope, still sounded loud and kinda hollow. At work I made some inserts to slip inside the mufflers to sorta take the hollow sound away. It was better but not exactly the sound I wanted yet. I sent off to JCW and ordered some 4 or 5 inch baffles and secured them to the inserts and wha la just the sound I wanted. Still have them on the bike. I didn't know about JCs slip ons at that time. The one good thing for me was that Xs came with the right brackets so I didn't have to make any.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Thanks for the link Poison, I checked it out and they are the same, what exhuast do you use?
I have the roadhouse slip-ons. They are very expensive though if you pay full price. Try and catch a sale.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I currently have the Clayton mod and I dont really like the sound and I am in between getting another set of stockers or some aftermarket slip-ons.

·
Registered
907 Posts
slipons

IMO, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats what I'm afraid of, maybe I will just throw on another set of stockers untill I can afford a real good set of aftermarket, I have been remodeling the kitchen and dinning rooms and trying to get money from the wife is like trying to get a bone from a dog:yikes:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Slipons

I have had these JCW slipons on my bike for 2.5 years,
they are a a rare deal, the chrome is good and they have not changed color or blued. I must say that this is one cheap mod that is worth every penny saved.
$60.00 for 3 riding seasons vers $500. plus for custom pipes, you do the math. If you like the look of the stagered pipe/muffler and want a sound that is just right (much better than stock) then these are a real value that will last.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
How do the JCW sound against the deep clayton mod? Mine are stock with the deep mod and not near loud enough for me.
I'm thinking of saving for some Bubs, I want my wife to hear me 3 blocks away so dinner is on the table when I get home :bowdown:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Agreed. Which is why it doesn't make sense to pay more for what you get. X-Choppers is just selling the JC Whitney slip ons for twice as much...

·
Registered
907 Posts
pipes

You pay for what you get when you purchase the jcwhitney/xchopper slipons. Stay away from xchopper. Go with jcwhitney if that is the slipons you want. Different tastes for everybody. They do sound better than the clayton mod IMO. I got my Roadhouse slipons from another board member at a great deal! Keep your eyes open and you might run up on a good deal on the RH. You will be very satisfied with the sound of the RH slipons!
Agreed. Which is why it doesn't make sense to pay more for what you get. X-Choppers is just selling the JC Whitney slip ons for twice as much...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, my dilemma has just been solved, I scored a used set of hk3 about 2 minutes ago fron the classified board, VTXOA is awesome!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts