Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some problems with the following scenario that happened
to me.
After installing a set of Bub Jughuggers my bike ran fine without rejetting.( I still had the stock airbox on). Then I purchased the Ultra Flow
airbox and a Dynajet kit along with a set of block-off plates to de-pair
the bike with.
After installing all of the above items, I used the 195 main jet, Dynajet
needle and spring with the "e" clip on the 3rd notch. Bike ran great but when 1st giving throttle there was a blip or stumbling point as I went from an idle to take off. After getting up some RPM's all was well in the rest of the gears.
So last night, I tore bike down and installed the SCain A/F screw I purchased from him last fall. I followed his instructions for installation of his screw and set it at 2 & 1/2 turns out. I also moved the "e" clip to the 4th groove and re-assembled the carb and bike.
Fired bike up and it's never ran better. :twisted: :twisted:
I guess the point I'm trying to make is two-fold.
First, just moving "e" clip from 3rd to the 4th notch made a world of difference.
Second, the SCain fuel screw is an awesome way to be precise in
getting the right amont of turns on the A/F screw. That D-tool that came
with the Dynajet kit is worse than horrible! I never was really sure if the tool was actually turning the screw or not. :? Also, from now on, I can adjust the A/F mixture with out disassembling the bike.
I dont know if SCain is still making the screws or not, but I would have to say that his screw is one of the best add-ons I've purchased. :D

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Ride said:
I dont know if SCain is still making the screws or not, but I would have to say that his screw is one of the best add-ons I've purchased. :D

Agreed! ........ :D Rod

G

·
0 Posts
I agree 100%.
I have the exact setup on the carb and It runs sweet and the Cain mix needle is a great improvement over the stock screw.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm looking at the same setup w/ Bubs & Ultra Flow and need to clarify. Should I use a Stage 1 or Stage 3 jet kit?? What's the difference??

G

·
0 Posts
Go with either one...what ever you can get quicker or cheaper. The only difference between the two is:

Stage I has jet sizes from 185 to 200.
Stage III from 190 to 210.

Everything else is the same. We're having good performance with the 195, 4th notch . I know another member who is also using that setup and is happy. I don't think I'm getting "tons more" HP, but overall it runs really well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I put on the same airbox last year, setup the same as you did first. It ran great last year other than I lost some fuel mileage. But this year I am starting to have a few problems, some little hesitations and some spit-backs through the carb. I was thinking of going back to the stock jet, but may try changing the clip first. Now a stupid question. The third spot is easy, it's in the middle. Which is the forth? Closer to the carb or away?

G

·
0 Posts
Count down from the top. Clip #1 is the first notch on the needle, away from the carb. If you go to the 4th notch you have to grind/dremel the top of the needle in order to get the plastic twist lock thing (don't know what that's called) to lock in place.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hows this for a bone headed mistake..... When I pulled the (vacumn cover) off the top
of the carb and changed my e-clip from the 3rd to the 4th notch, I put it
all back together and drove around for about two weeks. As I decided to straighten up in the roll around tool chest I came across something that
looked really familiar to me!! :shock: :shock: :shock: It was the plastic piece and spring that you put over the needle and turn to lock it down!!
Now I dont know if you'll believe this or not but my bike never missed a beat with it out! I swear this is a true story. So.. after crapping my pants I tore it down and put it back where it belongs. It went on kinda hard cause I didnt grind the top of the needle off. I think I'll tear it back down again and grind some off the top of the needle. :roll: Oh yeah..and I'll try to
remember to put it all back in the carb this time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got the same airbox but with V&H Bigshots, running 4th clip and 210 Main., 2.5 turns.
Bike seems to be running great !. Pulled the plugs after about 2 weeks. Burning very clean. Will get it dyno'd to learn the whole story, but what a difference the set up is over stock. Good lord !!!! it sa whole different beast !

Also, actually helped my mileage. I was expecting a turn for the worse, all this fun has to come with a price right?, but I went from 43mpg to 48 mpg. I know this seems hard to beleive, but true nonetheless.

G

·
0 Posts
Ride said:
Hows this for a bone headed mistake..... When I pulled the (vacumn cover) off the top
of the carb and changed my e-clip from the 3rd to the 4th notch, I put it
all back together and drove around for about two weeks. As I decided to straighten up in the roll around tool chest I came across something that
looked really familiar to me!! :shock: :shock: :shock: It was the plastic piece and spring that you put over the needle and turn to lock it down!!
Now I dont know if you'll believe this or not but my bike never missed a beat with it out! I swear this is a true story. So.. after crapping my pants I tore it down and put it back where it belongs. It went on kinda hard cause I didnt grind the top of the needle off. I think I'll tear it back down again and grind some off the top of the needle. :roll: Oh yeah..and I'll try to
remember to put it all back in the carb this time.
LOL! Don't you hate it when you have parts left over. I've been there...not with the needle, but with other things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts