Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1700cc 200 HP. $17,900 :yikes: steep$

I want one

It is a sexy bike. Screams muscle bike!!!! My dealer has one and I was talking to a guy who owns one along with a goldwing and a couple of high end Harleys. He said it is the best bike he has ever owned hands down.

I decided. Next year at this time there will be a ton of these on ebay I'll pick one up for 12k or less what do you think?

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Really like the machine but am afraid it would be my LAST bike. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Nice bike, for what it is. It's definitely in a class of its own, I'd say. But, like a few of Honda's latest developments, it's another statement of what the company can do, but doesn't really address what riders want. Although the rest of the Star line does come closer to that than others.
Just my 2 cents....:dontknow:

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
The V Max has pretty much always been a bad assssss bike! Hands Down.

I love the look and feel of this new one.. In time, yes the $$$ will come down ;)

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Nice bike, for what it is. It's definitely in a class of its own, I'd say. But, like a few of Honda's latest developments, it's another statement of what the company can do, but doesn't really address what riders want. Although the rest of the Star line does come closer to that than others.
Just my 2 cents....:dontknow:
Actually the Max does hit exactly what the riders want. Niche market piece. Only 2K of them being made at least this year for the US. That is quite a few but they will probably be gobbled up even in this economy. Good plan to target your market and then only make enough to hit that mark. Another $.02 :D

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
The V Max has pretty much always been a bad assssss bike! Hands Down.

I love the look and feel of this new one.. In time, yes the $$$ will come down ;)
:thumbup:

:crew:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Actually the Max does hit exactly what the riders want. Niche market piece. Only 2K of them being made at least this year for the US. That is quite a few but they will probably be gobbled up even in this economy. Good plan to target your market and then only make enough to hit that mark. Another $.02 :D
Right ... it fills a niche, so it hits what a relative few riders want. And ya gotta give Star credit for marketing it exactly as such. I mean, they're not betting the farm on it, just kind of saying hey, we got full dressers and all that, but look at THIS anyway. And I do confess, I look. :mrgreen:

·
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, I agree with whoever said it fills a niche market. I like have my cruiser for the purpose it serves.

But, I would get on the VMax with one thing in mind. And just be as happy as he77 as I was doing it.

I may be wierd but, when I look at that bike I see a work of modern industrial art. I'd but it just to look at every day. All nuts and bolts, 3d surfaces, a lot of form following function and a little of function following form... for example the double oversized nostrels for air intakes... probably overkill but it looks bad A$$.

I am a fan of a naked bike. I want to see the power plant, the trans, transfer case, The rear drive looks like a small rear out of a sports car. I don't like all the plastic on a lot of sport and sport tourers.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Don't want to start anything but I think that Yamaha is hideous.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gas milage

I read you can only get 60 to 80 miles out of it before refuling. Why would you want I buck that you would have to refule that quickly Just by a zx14 or a Hayabusa and you will get more speed and better gas milage.

·
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read you can only get 60 to 80 miles out of it before refuling. Why would you want I buck that you would have to refule that quickly Just by a zx14 or a Hayabusa too much plastic for me and you will get more speed and better gas milage.
The article I read said about 100 to 120 miles about the same as my 18c. the article states They sell aux tank that adds 1 gallon ... I don't know any more on that. Hmmm

·
Registered
998 Posts
My chiroprator and riding buddy is picking his up within the next two weeks, he's had it on order for a while now. But he said I could ride it so I'll give a report after I do.

I don't care for the looks all that much, never really did like the V-maxes but it does have that idustrial bad a$$ look and I ain't gonna turndown a chance to give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I read some of the reviews on it and it is NOT as good as
the previous models ... seems that Yammi made some
improvements that have impacted the bike negatively ...

you might want to try some of the older models and
then try the new one or read the reviews yourself.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I really was hoping Yamy was going to ditch the fake scoops on the tank.
and I think the exhaust on the V Max looks goofy.
other than that its an awesome bike

·
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really was hoping Yamy was going to ditch the fake scoops on the tank.
and I think the exhaust on the V Max looks goofy.
other than that its an awesome bike
From what I know the scoops are functional and they are bigger than needed and I can see where you would think they look goofy(so what's wrong with goofy). like the dick Tracy, bat man look to this thing.
The quadrupal rear exhausts are a little much but, then again the whole statment is excess. Exesscive power, excessive looks.

Its a muscle bike. Its like body builder. no one needs that much muscle but it has appeal for a lot of different reasons.

If they were going for hard, tough, strong, massive, No BS, I think they succeeded.

I want one.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Interesting bike but for that kind of money i would rather have many of the Euro offerings with FAR less weight. Even the new Ducati StreetFighter R and Brutale 1078 are both cheaper and will offer similar performance.

IMO most people are not going to pay that MSRP without a good look at similar priced Euro StreetFighters first. It will probably be most appealing to previous Vmax owners that have waited 20+ years for a makeover.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
NDAna said:
Really like the machine but am afraid it would be my LAST bike.
Yes at somewhere around 195 mph the loose matter behind the bars have been known to vaporize:lol:
It's "governed" at just under 140 mph, I believe.

Personally, I love it, but it's wa-a-a-a-a-ay out of my price range right now. I understand what Yamaha's strategy is, but once again, IMO, it's another example of a bike that cannot be had by the average rider, which makes me sad/mad. Like I've said before, it's going to get to a point where all us regular folks can afford to ride is a 250 Rebel!

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
It's "governed" at just under 140 mph, I believe.

Personally, I love it, but it's wa-a-a-a-a-ay out of my price range right now. I understand what Yamaha's strategy is, but once again, IMO, it's another example of a bike that cannot be had by the average rider, which makes me sad/mad. Like I've said before, it's going to get to a point where all us regular folks can afford to ride is a 250 Rebel!

Articles have been saying governed to 147 MPH.
I can't afford 90% of the vehicles of any kind out there. Don't understand why that should be a problem other than I don't have enough money. :dontknow:
It ha ALREADY gotten to where average folks can't affort poop. You not paying attention! :mad::D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts