Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to why there seems to be many more aftermarket options for customizing Yamahas (Road Stars, V Stars) than there are for the VTXs. Is it because Harley aftermarket parts fit the Yamahas?

Back when I had a Yamaha Virago in the late 80s, there were ZERO options for aftermarket parts. Practically everything needed to be custom machined. But looking around for parts online, I seem to find lots of parts I'd like to have, but they are for Yamahas (and Harleys), and I can't find anything comparable for my VTX.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just curios as to why there seems to be many more aftermarket options for customizing Yamahas (Road Stars, V Stars) than there are for the VTXs. Is it because Harley aftermarket parts fit the Yamahas?

Back when I had a Yamaha Virago in the late 80s, there were ZERO options for aftermarket parts. Practically everything needed to be custom machined. But looking around for parts online, I seem to find lots of parts I'd like to have, but they are for Yamahas (and Harleys), and I can't find anything comparable for my VTX.
I hate to break the news to you but harley parts fit honda's too,in fact harley makes some of the best honda parts out there.and here's proof.

·
Registered
464 Posts
this is more to my point... I see a lot more Yamahas with this level of customization than I do VTXs.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/calendar/cal.aspx

maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?
It's easy to see that you have not been on the board long, for every custom yamaha that's on that calender,one of our members has a VTX that's comparible to it.just do some searching and you'll find plenty of X's that will blow you away with the amount of customizing done to it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm thinking of putting up a site called Reader's Rides where guys can have their own little area to put up pix of their bikes along with a blurb and an accessories list.

Star went out and asked around to see who thought they had the coolest customized bike then put that page up. Honda can easily do the same since but they can barely breath any life or excitement into their own site, I doubt we'll ever see that.

Garfield

·
Registered
204 Posts
Your question was just fine, and his answer was not meant to sneer at you. He's saying that like many board newbies, you may not yet have seen some of the custom bikes that you are going to see, but you are right--Star does have some forward-thinking marketers working for them and combing the Star boards to find those sweet scoots is a coup for sure.

HEY HONDA, YOU LISTENING?

Nahhh....

I think that the black and white low-riding one with the beach bars is the crowd favorite. thats the one with the license that says "SHOOTR".

And welcome to the board. What are you riding?

Garfield

·
Registered
204 Posts
EvilJake puts new brakes on and overfills the reservoir. At the first stop sign...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't appreciate your tone. I was curious, so I asked a question.

The part of my question regarding available parts for Yamahas vs. VTXs is valid.
Not trying to relay the wrong message you being being new to the board and all, but if you stick around here long enough you'll see some of the great talent our board members have in creating truelly fantastic customs that will rival any make or model of bike ,yamaha just does a better job at marketing and just like Harley are trying to sell an image as well as a bike.Honda lets the bikes speak for themselves by being dependable and rock solid from the begining and don't try to sell the image like they did in the sixties(you meet the nicest people on a Honda)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
apologies for being a little heavy on the throttle.

I've been lurking the boards for a couple of months now before joining, and I have seen some damn fine rides. dragnize and Ruff's bikes have been my favorites, and I do like that one you mention, Garfield (SHOOTR).

The direction I'm headed with my '03 1300s would be this:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/calendar/img/wallpaper1024_mcy_06_cal-sept-oct.jpg

or this:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/calendar/img/wallpaper1024_mcy_04_cal-may-jun.jpg

I'll get some pics up soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
apologies for being a little heavy on the throttle.

I've been lurking the boards for a couple of months now before joining, and I have seen some damn fine rides. dragnize and Ruff's bikes have been my favorites, and I do like that one you mention, Garfield (SHOOTR).

The direction I'm headed with my '03 1300s would be this:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/calendar/img/wallpaper1024_mcy_06_cal-sept-oct.jpg

or this:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/calendar/img/wallpaper1024_mcy_04_cal-may-jun.jpg

I'll get some pics up soon.

And yours will look better because you wont have a belt drive inthe way of your wheels

·
Registered
204 Posts
The black one is nice if you live on the prairies and there are no curves.

He must cry every time he goes around a corner.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I wish people would post pic's of there customs, to me bolting on some chrome or a set of apes is not enough to call it a custom, but give me a bike like " dumbcomputers" now that is a custom. Have seen some here, would like to see more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with the message of the original post. Sadly, Honda lags behind both Harley and Yamaha in the accessories department. I don't think pointing that out makes anyone less of a fan of the VTX.

Honda is in drastic need of updated accessories. As a product designer, I think the VTX is a better looking bike overall (much cleaner, without being overdone), but I can appreciate that Yamaha has Honda beat on the details with regards to accessories. Lockable saddlebags that flow better with the fender lines need to be in the mix. Look at Yamaha's backrest versus Honda's - round tubing with curves that match the bike vs. Honda's square tubing that looks straight out of 1990. I really wish Honda had a hard bag option as well like Yamaha and even Kawasaki do. Yamaha has a deeper accessory catalog, and their website makes it easy to build your own and see what it would look like on your bike.

Honda has a superior bike styling-wise, but leaves its riders with fewer - and less attractive - choices on how to trick it out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish people would post pic's of there customs, to me bolting on some chrome or a set of apes is not enough to call it a custom, but give me a bike like " dumbcomputers" now that is a custom. Have seen some here, would like to see more.
that was part of the intent of my post. chromed plastic held in place with double-sided tape isn't really the "custom" I was inquiring about. custom controls on bars with inside wiring is though, and so are Undertakers (but I am surprised there aren't more options for fenders, even blanks that need mounts welded on).

Okie Bob's Dooley project impressed the hell out of me! I need to keep scouring the boards for more customs.

these guys do nice work on Xs (and others) http://www.highlandercustoms.com/home.htm

not to belabor the issue, but does anyone know if other metric cruisers (Stars, etc.) have as much plastic as the VTXs do? I don't have a real issue with that about the X, but the one part of the bike I really don't like are the neck covers. I'd like to see examples of what others have done to remedy them (like removing them entirely, not replacing with the chrome covers).

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Just curious as to why there seems to be many more aftermarket options for customizing Yamahas (Road Stars, V Stars) than there are for the VTXs. Is it because Harley aftermarket parts fit the Yamahas?

Here you go!
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228465&highlight=custom+bikes

·
Registered
83 Posts
The reason you see more custom Yamaha's is because the company actually goes and hires builders to build custom bike's for thier calender to show you what can be done. Honda does not push this, but there are alot of honda's out there that are just as nice and custom as the Yamaha's. Bike's like the ones in your pictures are fabricated not bolted together though so you either have to have the tools and knowledge or know someone that does. Most of those parts are not gonna be bought.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
The reason you see more custom Yamaha's is because the company actually goes and hires builders to build custom bike's for thier calender to show you what can be done. Honda does not push this, but there are alot of honda's out there that are just as nice and custom as the Yamaha's. Bike's like the ones in your pictures are fabricated not bolted together though so you either have to have the tools and knowledge or know someone that does. Most of those parts are not gonna be bought.
+1, Yamaha as a company does a better job then Honda on the customizing front. Just look at their two-page adds, showing a customized bike with a little itty bitty stock bike in the lower corner:) Gotta love marketing. I wish Honda would follow suit but doesn't look like they care to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts