Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be heading across TX this coming mid April, from Roswell, NM, right across, heading to Jackson, MS... I'm leaning toward US380, but wanted local input, if any? I-40/US66 takes me further north, right? And I-10 goes right through the Houston Metro area... Thanks for any input on routes and or weather that time of year.:D

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I'm going to be heading across TX this coming mid April, from Roswell, NM, right across, heading to Jackson, MS... I'm leaning toward US380, but wanted local input, if any? I-40/US66 takes me further north, right? And I-10 goes right through the Houston Metro area... Thanks for any input on routes and or weather that time of year.:D
Cant speak for the northern part of the state, but, you are correct that I-10 takes you through the middle of Houston. Be careful on 10 if you are riding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
380 is a great road to ride but there are a lot of small towns on it (watch for LEOs) and gas stations can be pretty far apart. I just rode 380 from jacksboro to haskell last week and started praying for a station before i had to push. you might want to take 380 into post then 84 down to I- 20 and then east to shreveport. Have a good ride and if you need help in the D/FW area PM me

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yo Texas

Hey Brothers!!
I am thinking about riding my bike to Houston some weekend, from Southeast Kansas. :confused:

I used to live in Houston and I would like to make the trip on my bike to visit some friends.

Knowing what the traffic is like I am concern about riding in a large city on the bike.:yikes:

I was in Houston this past weekend in my car and I only noticed a few bikes on the road.

Riding experience has a lot to do with how safe one feels on the bike. I haven't ridden in too many large populated areas, especially the ones with high traffic.

Any suggestions? Don't tell me to fly or walk either.

Ride Safe,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jackson, MS is on IH20, so I would just get on IH20 all the way...yes you'll go through DFW, but you don't go through the middle of the city so it's really not that bad. You can get on IH20 in West Texas:agree:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Brothers!!
I am thinking about riding my bike to Houston some weekend, from Southeast Kansas. :confused:

I used to live in Houston and I would like to make the trip on my bike to visit some friends.

Knowing what the traffic is like I am concern about riding in a large city on the bike.:yikes:

I was in Houston this past weekend in my car and I only noticed a few bikes on the road.

Riding experience has a lot to do with how safe one feels on the bike. I haven't ridden in too many large populated areas, especially the ones with high traffic.

Any suggestions? Don't tell me to fly or walk either.

Ride Safe,
From SE Kansas, HWY 69 is the way to go, it turns into Hwy 75, and heads through Dallas (follow the signs to get to Houston)...as for not having a lot of experience in Large cities, sad to say, only one way to get that experience. Remember 2 rules: Ride as though you are invisible (never expect the other guy to see you), and remember especially...everyone not on your bike is an idiot, treat them as such

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Do not know your schedule time wise. Take a look at Hwy.180 from west Texas to Ft. Worth and on the other side of Dallas (east of) it is Hwy. 80. This hwy. will carry you straight to Jackson, Ms. I20 replaced this hwy., when the interstates were built. I20 is usually close to this hwy., so you can jump on it quick to make up time if needed. It is best to travel I20 thru. Ft. Worth and Dallas and then pick up U.S. Hwy. 80 east of Dallas.
Have a safe trip!...........Thunder Road

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do not know your schedule time wise. Take a look at Hwy.180 from west Texas to Ft. Worth and on the other side of Dallas (east of) it is Hwy. 80. This hwy. will carry you straight to Jackson, Ms. I20 replaced this hwy., when the interstates were built. I20 is usually close to this hwy., so you can jump on it quick to make up time if needed. It is best to travel I20 thru. Ft. Worth and Dallas and then pick up U.S. Hwy. 80 east of Dallas.
Have a safe trip!...........Thunder Road
yup the best way to go, i run this way on my rig :agree:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts