Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how long some of you have been riding and what things you have ran into, accidents,animals,loose gravel, Being on the Bike now I notice so much more is out there to make things hairy. I also just wanted to vent a bit. Ok people if you have never ridin a bike keep these things in mind when your in your car!! when on a bike we

dont like ciggarette buts thrown at us

dont like you sharing our lane

dont like tailgaters

yes we slow down for eyes on the side of the road.

yes we slow down on slippery gravel

yes the snow is gone we are out here!

ok enough for now, sorry some of these maniac drivers scare me! :evil:

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Been riding in the dirt simce 1976 (10 yrs. old) and on the street since 1980. I have hit cars, been hit by cars, low sided, high sided, hit a tree, etc. I have broken 14 ribs, 1 hand, and had many bumps and bruises. Yet riding (dirt and street) is still my favorite thing to do. I have probably forgotten quite a few good stories, but the ones I remember would fill at least one night of beer drinking and bench racing. I have met many great friends through motorcycles in the last 25 years and I hope to continue for at least another 25.

·
Registered
41 Posts
With less than 40 yards between us, some idiot pulls his cage right in front of me on the highway (I was running about 65 - 70).

Being that there was a car passing me, and virtually no shoulder, I had little choice but to brake hard.

I locked the back momentarily and got a good loud chirp out of it.

The guy passing me saw what was happening and mashed his brakes - allowing me an escape route. (Thanks to that dude for trying - whoever you are!).

Suddenly, as I'm getting ready to jump lanes to avoide hitting this moron, he does the most amazingly idiotic thing he could have... yup, you guessed it - he jumped lanes and cut me off - again!

Quickly leaning the other way, I yanked her straight in time to compensate.

The idiot driver looked right just in time to se my middle finger about 2 inches from his passenger side window.

I am absolutely sure he heard some of the profanities I was slinging because he fell back and stayed behind me in the other lane until I finally made my exit.

I was so pumped, and so mad I could have crushed him with my bare hands, given the opportunity. :evil:

[edit]

The above incident is only a week old. It wasn't my first episode of a near miss - but the first one in about 10 years.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It was 1987, I was riding an 86 Shadow to school, and I was LATE! Kinda figured thats how this story would start. Anyway, Im about 2 miles from the school, doing about 60 on a rolling back road. The last hill I got to, I went up one side and as I cleared the top of the hill, all I saw were two big red flashing lights and ALOT of yellow, SCHOOL BUS! I did everything I could to stop that bike and I did, with about 4" left to spare. I started leaving the house earlier to get to school.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
So far I've had to kick one car in the driver's side door. The moron was talking on a cell phone and not paying any attention at all. Strangely, he never stopped, even running a red, till I had pulled off several miles a head. You'd think the volvo driving idiot would want to try to get me to pay for damages. A 10.5 EEEE makes a heck of a dent.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The Closest Call
Stop and go traffic. I stop, check mirror... there's a pickup closing the space between us way too fast. Smartly, I left some maneuvering room and pull to the shoulder. Just as I do, I hear screeching tires. Now on the shoulder next to the car that used to be in front of me, I turn around. His front bumper is where my rear axle used to be!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Coming home from my girlfriends (now my wife for 23 yrs) one night going 95 mph on a susuki 1000, came over a little rise and went by a white tail doe with her front feet on the pavement in my lane. Makes a 19 yr old tough guy feel mortal again.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Non crash anxiety moment

Many years ago on my CX500... Turning left onto a major arterial, pulled into the middle turn lane, as I turn my head to look to merge, a school bus hits my right mirror as it's moving into the turn lane. That contact took place about middle of the bus so I got to sit there while the rest of it went by. I don't think the bus driver was ever aware I was there.

That got my heart going.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My first close call (not the last by any means) was a run-in with a cage on a country dirt road with no shoulder, about 1979. The road had a typical high crown of hard class 5 with soft sugar-sand on the sides. I'm driving my first bike, Yamaha 360, down the road about 35mph when this guy (lady?) coming right at me wants to take his half of the road out of the center. He wouldn't move. I know he saw me, because I saw his head moving to look right at me. I dove for the right side just in time and got into the sugar sand. I lost it quickly, and me and the bike became airborne going into the swamp next to the road. I hit the water first, and the bike followed me, landing right on top of me. It pressed me down into the water. I almost drowned. It took over 15 minutes for me to get the bike off of me, all the time barely able to keep my face above the water. The driver never stopped. Later, I discovered the exhaust pipe had burned my leg with 2nd degree burns, but I didn't even feel it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
First one?

hmm, would have to be when I was 11 years old (which was about 1969!) and my dad bought me a Benelli mini-cycle. I say cycle because it had a clutch and gears and everything I wasn't used to on the 3 previous mini-bikes. He did a great job teaching me how to shift and use the clutch. He forgot the part about the brakes though. :shock:

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Danny45 said:
First one?

hmm, would have to be when I was 11 years old (which was about 1969!) and my dad bought me a Benelli mini-cycle. I say cycle because it had a clutch and gears and everything I wasn't used to on the 3 previous mini-bikes. He did a great job teaching me how to shift and use the clutch. He forgot the part about the brakes though. :shock:
My brother and I taught my sister (probably around 10) to ride the CL100. We went through every thing throttle, clutch, all the gears, proper shifting, etc. so she ripping around the back yard (about an acre) and she keeps yelling something everytime she rides past us but we can't hear what she's saying, not that we didn't care?? About that time my Dad gets home from work and ask's "who taught Laura to ride?" My brother and I are proud of our accoplishment and point out how well she is doing. Laura see's Dad and figures he will save her so she heads straight for us still yelling something. She blasts past us and smashes into the house. When she recovered it became clear what she was yelling the whole time " How do you stop!!" Needless to say we were in trouble once again and had another version of the "your sister is not a guinny pig" speech, but by then we were used to it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
black hills said:
Danny45 said:
First one?

My brother and I taught my sister (probably around 10) to ride the CL100. We went through every thing throttle, clutch, all the gears, proper shifting, etc. so she ripping around the back yard (about an acre) and she keeps yelling something everytime she rides past us but we can't hear what she's saying, not that we didn't care?? About that time my Dad gets home from work and ask's "who taught Laura to ride?" My brother and I are proud of our accoplishment and point out how well she is doing. Laura see's Dad and figures he will save her so she heads straight for us still yelling something. She blasts past us and smashes into the house. When she recovered it became clear what she was yelling the whole time " How do you stop!!" Needless to say we were in trouble once again and had another version of the "your sister is not a guinny pig" speech, but by then we were used to it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's hilarious!!!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
2 1/2 years ago, headed home on the hiway. I was in passing lane going just a bit faster than the auto I was passing when a women talking on her cell phone came up fast behind me, passing on the shoulder some and in my lane and side swiping me at the same time. After she was passed me she flips me off.

On my old bike she hit the rear turn signal and my left foot peg and boot. Somehow I kept the bike upright.

Talk about the nerve of some women.

Tejas

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ok, when I was going to an from school back in the 70s, high school I was 17 years ole, I was pulling up beside a school bus on a state highway where you have 2 lanes going in both directions and a gravel shoulder on both sides with a median between the north and south lanes. The dipstick bus driver just starts to pull over in my lane before I am past her so I went off on the gravel shoulder on my 750 Yamaha and honked my horn and got on it and got in front on the bus and pulled back on the road. That was very interesting because there were several cars that were now behind the bus and I was going to be really screwed if I had just stopped because the shoulder banked down toward the ditch in the middle of the median.

The only time I have every been down was going through a parking lot on a goldwing and this lady who evidently was not paying attention pulled out and hit me in the side as I was going along the end of the parking lot at about 15 mph.

The things you must do when riding is WATCH every vehicle that is out there in all the lanes, alot of people have thier head in thier fourth corner contact and don't pay attention to motorcycles. I would rather get a ticket for speeding then letting some yaho tailgate me so I use my speed when you have bone heads around you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My accident occurred last fall. There were approximately 20 bikes riding through the White Mountains of NH, when I saw a Black Bear frolicing in the woods to our left. All of the sudden, like a dog chases a Frisbee, the bear starts barreling accross the street heading right for me. Before I could throttle up it slammed head first into my left ankle pinning my ankle between its head and the transmission. Then the bear spun around and slammed the side of my bike with it side and errupted in diarrhea all over the bike. That sent the bear spinning out into the street on iots back like a Break Dancer. When it stopped spinning, it lifted its head and was gushing blood, walked into the woods to die. I didn't dump the X, but I did break my ankle. I rode home 2 1/2 hours with a broken ankle. As for the X, the bear bent the shift and broke my horn off. Tough bike huh?

Gil
aka Bear
8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was on my way home for lunch, when I saw the street light about half a mile up turn green. So doing what comes natural to me I rolled on the throttle… kicking it up from the legal speed of 45 to somewhere around 70. As I’m approaching the light at a high rate of speed it starts to change… well now I realize that I’m screwed, because this is a huge intersection and I’m going to fast to stop and there is now way in hell I could make it all the way through. I hit the brakes as hard as I could and wound up locking up the back tire and fishtailing severely, then I did something that I have never done before… I let go of the back brake :shock: … Well the bike and I took a little trip through the air after that. I came down head first into the street and slid about 50 yards.

I’m a strong believer in safety gear now more than ever. I’ve always worn a helmet and that day it was cold so I also had on my Jacket, Gloves and Boots. The EMT told me that I convinced him also, because in the many years that he had been doing that job he had never seen a motorcyclists get smashed up and total a bike like I did and walk away with nothing more that a stubbed toe :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
About 8 years ago I was on my Sporty. The a55hole minivan in front of me decides to cut into my lane in front of me and lock up their brakes for no reason. I got on the brakes hard and felt the rear start to come forward. I was almost dirt-tracking it on pavement. It is a shock to the system feeling your rear tire brake loose and start to slide forward.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.